Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASUS P4S800 Secondary IDE doesn't Recognize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharonlover

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2004
US
Hello Again Everyone,

After discovering that my pcchips MOBO was dead (thanks to everyones help here), I decided to shell out the extra money and went with a P4S800 ASUS Motherboard. I installed everything and the baby booted up like a charm. Once I had everything installed, I noticed that my DVD burner was not being recognized. It's set as the master on the secondary IDE channel.

Thinking it was something set in the BIOS, I went in and checked all settings and found them good. I decided to test the burner by adding it to the primary IDE and it found it just fine! The board is brand new and I'm hoping that its not bad.

I seem to be having some bad luck with buying mobo's here ><; The machine is a P4 3.0e/FSB 800 w/512 DDR400 Memory and an AGP 8X GeForce FX5200. Everything else works lovely except that channel.

Any suggestions??

"Why are we necessary?"
"Only to rise up to the challenge"
-Macross Plus-

Try another IDE cable on the secondary channel, ensuring pin 1 orientation is correct at both the motherboard and device ends. Confirm the DVD burner is receiving power, though I suspect you used the same power connector when you moved it to the primary channel.

I actually did change the power channel it was running off of cuz I have two other fans and a lcd temp. on the same channel. I put it by itself and it still doesn't recognize. I'll check the ide cables when I get home but I removed them last night and ensured that they were put in right, they are keyed as well so they can only go in one way, unless forced of course XD!

"Why are we necessary?"
-Macross Plus-

u use 80pin cable?!
jumpers are set in right position (master/slave)?
2nd ide is enabled in bios/device manager?

Also using ASUS P4S800 mainboard. I have the same issue with secondary IDE not working. I thought the board was bad and sent it back. Replacement also shows exact same problem.

Things tried:

Power: Yes (CD-ROM tray ejects, on both drives)

Drive jumpers: Yes (Tried as Slave and as Master, w/HD properly jumpered.)

Verified BIOS is most recent: Yes

Verified BIOS settings are correct: Yes

Other CD-ROM (Tested good): No

Pin orientation: Yes (Cables/slots are keyed)

Other 80-pin cable (Tested good): No

Other 40-pin cable (Tested good): No

Moved CD-ROM to Primary IDE as Slave: Yes, but skirts the problem. Not a fix.

Skirted the issue with a PCI IDE card: Yes, for now, but I want to fix the problem! ideas?

After messing around with it, my wife unplugged the front usb ports on the case and the secondary IDE channel started working. I've yet to look further into the usb/ide problem as I don't use a lot of usb stuff.

Try unplugging the front usb if you have it and see if it works then.

That's how mine was corrected.

"Why are we necessary?"
-Macross Plus-

Read somewhere about another Asus board with the same problem, no secondary IDE when front USB headers are connected. I believe it was a grounding problem- the NC pin on the header had been grounded. Make SURE your front ports are correctly plugged in if you try to use them. 4 leads each, 5v, data-, data+, gnd. The NC pin(s) are not used. Since you have unhooked the front USB and the secondary IDE was recognized, have you tried to reconnect the USB and see what happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back