Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus P4C800 crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

csab

Technical User
Nov 29, 2005
CH

Hello guys,

As Garebo avoided me I start a new thread for my problem even if I know (from other forums, especially the forum of Corsair Memory) that "a lot of" people have the same crashes and issues than I...

The bug I'm trying to fix is the following one: my PC just switches off without any reason. I would not be able to say at which frequency because some times it's after 2 min 5 times crash after crash and sometimes the PC runs for hours... oO There is no error message, nor THE blue screen :p

First of all my configuration:

Mobo: Asus P4C800 Deluxe
CPU: Intel P4c 2,8 Ghz
RAM: 1 X Corsaire Value 512Mb PC3200 Cas2,5 (2,5-3-3-8) (at 199Mhz)
PSU: Qtechnology 400W PFC (Papst Series)
GPU: Asus 9600XT (Ati Radeon 128Mb)
HD: Hitachi Deskstar T7K250-8 (250Gb EIDE 8Mb Cache)
DVD-R: Pioneer DVR-A07 (xla or xlb)
SoundCard: Creative Audigy (on PCI)

BIOS Setting: All of the "Onboard Chipset" are disabled, the HT is running, tried to disabled the USB legacy, but that do not change anything, there is also no overclocking enabled. The PAT and the ECC are disabled... I tried to change the APM (power management) too but neither enabled nor disabled has apparantly an effect...

The last "good Bios" the 1019 one is installed with the last intel chipset drivers I downloaded from Asus website...

(I think all the stuff and settings are here...)

I have already made some tests in my quest of getting a working PC... I run most of the tests from "UBCD" under DOS. The memtest run for 1h30min and the memory seemed all right (it passed the memtest 86 (v3.2) 6 or 8 times). I run a CPU test also, after 1 mio iterations I stopped it :)
Under Windows XP Pro I used the Asus utility to monitor the temperatures and the voltages. The Mobo is about 30°C, the CPU about 33°C and never above 45°C even in full load. For the voltages there is only a difference of 2 or 3 mA for about 2h. The GPU temperature is never above 45-48°C even in full charge.

I already tried to reinstall Windows XP 3 times, on two different HD (the first one was a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120Gb on ATA 133) without any result. I also tried to run the system without any optical device, or with an other device (a Lite-On CDRW the model was the : LTR-52246s) too. I even run a Linux system that freezed after a while.. (but I was not an expert of Linux at that time, and even now I am not one :p)

And my system crashes and crashes and crashes... does not matter I am using it or not ! And I have no more ideas...

Please HELP me ... !!!

Thanks a lot :)

Csab

Hello everybody !!!

I just fixed my problem :)

I reseted the Bios and changed manually the CPU voltage in the Bios. And also the GPU Voltage and the RAM one.

The problem was probably a false CPU voltage. I gave my box the following settings :

-FSB voltage : 199 Mhz

-CPU Voltage : 1.650 V

-RAM Voltage : 2.75 V

-GPU Voltage : 1.50 V

There is probably an error in the Bios (I have tested many of them and I am running now the 1019). The voltages displayed on the screen are false. There is about 100mV of difference. Is it possible?

So for those how have PC crashes check manually the voltags I wrote above...

Good luck :)

Csab

Yes I am a MAC lover, and so what :)

Good info, and glad you found the Culprit, and thank you for posting the Solution aswell...

it could well be that there is a Manufacturers mistake or a software mistake somewhere on that particular brand of mobo, not every other mobo is like that...

There is about 100mV of difference. Is it possible?
and yes that is possible...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks for your answer Ben! I am still wondering how such a manufacturer as Asus could make such a mistake.

I hope this solution will help many Asus P4C800 users

Good luck :)

Csab

Yes I am a MAC lover, and so what :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back