Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASUS Live Tuner Windows XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZimZ

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2001
NL
I've switch to Windows XP. Everything works fine, except for Asus Live. I get the following message:
Video decoder detecting occurs error!
Possible reasons:
1. Your display card doesn't have a video decoder
2. Your monitor or monitor driver is not proper design for I2C Bus control

My card: Asus V7100 Deluxe Combo.
Motherboard: Socket 423 P4, 850 Chipset

Anyone with a solution?

Thanks!

capture driver is in digital vcr 2.1. How many time do we have to say it. It isnt in any other release. When installed under xp or 2000 it appears under sound and video game controllers, video codec. Select properties of video codecs and see if the first one says asus asv2 codec. If it is not there it will not work.

ONCE AGAIN IF IT IS NOT THERE IT WONT WORK!!!
INSTALL VIDEO CARD DRIVERS, ASUS DVCR 2.1 WHICH HAS ALL THE WDM U NEED.
If it still doesnt work, its either an irq conflict or u need to check to make sure ur video card is getting at least 3.15 for the 3.3 voltage.

BTW, xp and 2000 wont tell u there is an irq conflict. You must check every hardware properties to make sure that ur video irq isnt assigned to anything else.

FORGET WHAT EVERYONE ELSE SAYS ABOUT NVIDIA WDM, IVE ONLY HAD PROBLEMS WITH THOSE WHILEKiÓPNG ASUS VIDEO DIRVER.

capture driver is in digital vcr 2.1. How many time do we have to say it. It isnt in any other release. When installed under xp or 2000 it appears under sound and video game controllers, video codec. Select properties of video codecs and see if the first one says asus asv2 codec. If it is not there it will not work.

If it still doesnt work, its either an irq conflict or u need to check to make sure ur video card is getting at least 3.15 for the 3.3 voltage.

BTW, xp and 2000 wont tell u there is an irq conflict. You must check every hardware properties to make sure that ur video irq isnt assigned to anything else.

FORGET WHAT EVERYONE ELSE SAYS ABOUT NVIDIA WDM, IVE ONLY HAD PROBLEMS WITH THOSE WHILE USING ASUS VIDEO DIRVER.

FORGET WHAT EVERYONE ELSE SAYS ABOUT NVIDIA WDM, IVE ONLY HAD PROBLEMS WITH THOSE WHILE USING ASUS VIDEO DIRVER.

I have removed the Asus Live 4.6x and the vfw Win2K driver installed by Asus Live 4.6x. From here I have the following:

Win XP Pro (fresh install)
Video Driver - Win2K-XP_23.11
DVCR 2.1 (capture portion dumps during install)

On reboot, I checked 3.3V P/S reads 3.33V - very healthy. The DVCR 2.1 Capture install bombs out in the middle of the it's install. I think that us 3400 owners have another wrinkle that 68xx 71xx 82xx owners do not have to deal with. No surprise that I have not received any email back from Asus Support.

I moved my only PCI card to slot 2 from slot 3 that makes Multimedia IRQ move from IRQ 11 to 9 and 9 is not used by anything else. On reboot, however, XP stuck it back to IRQ 11 that is shared with the VIA Audio, VIA USB, and ACPI. I am going to take this system back to basics and try again.

Will post when I have more info.

System: XP, 7700D.

After the white bar problem(as well as dropped frames in captures above 352x288), I decided on a fresh install of XP. Started reinstalling the usual - 29.80 drivers, Live 4.6r. Live couldn't detect my card unfortunately & after finally finding this thread I fixed the problem. I'm using Digital VCR 2.2 & WDM 1.08. I have no problems capturing to mpeg in any size & the white bar problem is gone & I never have any dropped frames anymore. The only problem is when I capture to AVI, the capture is flipped(Cosworth1 posted the same problem). It seems the ASV2 codec flips the capture & DVCR doesn't let u change the codec(not that I know of anyway). Does anyone know how to change the codec in DVCR or know of a program that can easily flip the capture back to normal?

Hi there fellows!
I read ALL this post but still I haven't found a solution to my problems.
I have XP, and a 7700 ti deluxe.
Naturally I tried to download the 1.08 WDM, but I noticed a WEIRD thing:
In control panel I'm getting only 3 WDM drivers, and guess who's missing??? Video Capture -_-
Installing ASUS or Nvidia doesn't change anything, after removing THOSE 3 drivers, and after installing (e.g.) 1.08 WDM, after reboot I only get those 3 recognized :(
I REALLY don't have a clue as to what to do now.
I am beginning to think I'll NEVER be able to install a VideoCapture driver on this machine :(
Any help will be welcome. :)

Ok, Anything sorted.
Basically I wasn't getting the "fourth" WDM driver in the control panel because I had a "Unknown Peripheral" which I totally ignored. GUESS WHAT? The unknown peripheral was a "old" capture driver which prevented the new video capture drivers from installing.
o_O
So I removed the peripheral, reinstalled 1.08 and eveything went fine. :)
I guess it's true that each day you learn something new. :D

Hey Bewick!

Regarding your problem with a flipped picture when capturing to AVI.. i think you should try use VirtualDub.
If you don't already know about it, get to know it :) - its a brilliant program to let you edit your video files.
it have an internal filter called "rotate", im quite sure thats what you need.

I use Vdub to capture in ASV2, then resize, crop, deinterlace and finally save it as raw avi (take much disk space though).
After that, i can make anything i want from this edited source... SVCD, SBC (DivX :) 3.11a) DivX 5.02, Xvid... Thats just the way i do it.

I hope you can use some of this... Good luck!

FuzzY

Sys Specs: XP, 6800D

Hi folks,
I'm trying to make the ASUS V7100 DELUXE combo
show some TV on Win2k. After installing the
drivers 29.80 and NVidia wdm1_11, and DVCR2.2
things started to work a bit. I can see (and record)
almost all channels from the cable, however the sound
is very very noisy (before I used this card on Win ME
and the sound was OK). What am I doing wrong? Before
I also used a diff. sound card but I gues the AUX IN
should work the same way (or if not, I would not hear
anything and not this noise I'm hearing now).

Any help would be really welcome,
thnx,
Richard.

I have two probs on my hands. 1st any asus version of the display driver i install results in a system hang during boot (during the WinXP logo, just before entering the GUI), 2nd I've got the damn code 10 "device cannot start" curse!! this seems like a major problem for asus cards, and i'll be damned if i do a fresh install of WinXP just to add capture support (same goes for the dual boot solution).

The Asus tech guys better get there act together and come up with a proper explanation. Seems everyone's come up with completly different answers to the problem!

WinXP, V6800 Deluxe, Asus Live (alive46r.zip):
1. Install Nvidia WDM_1.08.exe
2. Install Asus Live(install Asus capture driver when asked)
3. Run C:\Program Files\ASUS\ASUS Live\I2cInst.exe
4. Enjoy.

I think this is how i did it.... :p

I found that for my setup of XP Pro and the 7100 Deluxe the new (1.17) Nvidia drivers installed twice (they didn't take the first time, a common problem for many) along with the new (4.041) NVidia drivers for the card cured most of my problems. The only ASUS anythingf I am running are the ASV1 and ASV2 codecs.[thumbsup2]

Only wierdness: All of my WDM drivers show as Version 1.17, dated 6/27/02 EXCEPT the TV/Audio crossbar, which shows as 1.16 dated 6/7. Upon examination of the driver details however, nvtvsnd.sys shows up as 1.17 here as well as on disk....very wierd.[smarty]

I can now capture via channel 3 out the back of an old VCR using any input into the VCR (camera, tape, antenna). I have the "big white line problem" in composite video capture however.[thumbsdown] In other words, a direct antenna line in from my VCR antenna out to video card in works OK, the little black converter box which comes with the 7100 Deluxe Combo cannot work via its composite input.

I want to know: Under XP, just how does one change the IRQ or memory allocation resources of the video card?[ponder]

It's been a while since I've posted, but have learned a lot in the past few weeks. I thought I'd relay what I found in hopes to help others, but as of yet I have not fully got everything working the way I like it...

My setup (mileage may vary based on setup it seems)
---------------------------------------------------

ASUS P2B v1.02
Celeron 466MHz
ASUS v3400TNT/16MB/TV (SDRAM, not SGRAM)
WinXP Professional
ISA 56k modem
No other cards, no multimedia

Composite versus S-Video?
--------------------------

I have heard a few rumors on some other forums that indicate there is a difference in the way the Composite input is detected versus the SVIDEO input. Can anyone shed any light on this? I use the Composite input, which I imagine most people do. I found a converter at Radio Shack for $20 (!!!), and couldn't bring myself to spending that much money. But some have indicated that booting WinXP with the SVIDEO connection live will cause the nVidia WDM drivers to properly detect and enable the capture device? I do not know how the ACPI/StandardPC may interact with this rumor either.

If anyone can shed light on the connector differences, it would be most appreciated.

ACPI versus Standard PC
-----------------------------

These are ultimately methods that WinXP uses to manage resources and power-saving features of your PC. ACPI gives WinXP the most flexability. Standard PC gives it the least (and you the most).

ACPI allows WinXP to assign/reassign all IRQ's as it sees fit, no matter what your BIOS has configured them for. WinXP for some reason likes to share every device on a single IRQ, which seems to be the crux of the video-capture problem.

To date, I have had absolutely no progress on any solution on my ACPI-mode WinXP partition. But the hard drives power down and the system will go into sleep mode just fine. I have another partition which I installed WinXP in "Standard PC" mode, and did finally get DVCR working, but at a wimpy 5 or so frames per second rate. I also got ASUS LIVE v4.6r (started with 4.6b2 and worked my way up with no problems) working flawlessly. Unfortunately, absolutely no power-management features work. Hard drives don't spin down, the system does not go into sleep mode (or hibernate). In fact, I cannot even manually put the system into standby/sleep mode. It only offers "Hibernate, Off, Restart." Manually, all three work fine, except it gives the great "It is now safe to turn off your computer" rather than shutting off my ATX power supply. :( I have tried several regedit mods suggested in other forums to tell WinXP to actually shut off the ATX supply, but it just won't do it on a Standard PC installation.

Installing ASUS LIVE on an ACPI installation will cause your system to freeze-up during boot when the ACPI mode changes all the IRQs around and tries to enable the video capture device. Major conflicts and WinXP just stops.

WinXP has all sorts of rules that is uses to determine whether or not your system and BIOS support ACPI. If everything goes great, it installs WinXP with ACPI support. If not, it installs what is calls "Standard PC" support. You can actually go through and act like you are going to reinstall WinXP on top of the existing partition (boot from the WinXP disc, etc), but when it says "press F6 if you need to install 3rd party drivers," hit F5 (Not F6!) and let it keep doing its thing. Eventually, it should pop up a little scroll window where you can choose which HAL (hardware abstraction layer) you want to use. APCI or Standard PC (Don't install "UniProcessor ACPI" unless you are running a single processor on a dual-processor mainboard! There is another called "Advanced Power and Control Interface (ACPI)" that is the one you want). Windows will go through and basically re-install the OS. I have not performed extensive testing, but it seems to keep all your apps in place, but you loose any WindowsUpdate patches and it looks like it hosed up my Office2000 installation. All others seem to be okay so far.

Others have indicated that you can just "Update Driver.." on the ACPI in the device manager -- this will not work on all systems! For some it will work, for others it will probably cause your system to stop booting up.

Intel Application Accelerator?
------------------------------

I did get a response from ASUS that requested me to install the Intel Application Accelerator. Unfortunately, this makes me wonder if ASUS reads their email -- the IAA does not support the 440BX chipset, which is what the P2B mainboard uses.

Reading a little about IAA (on intel's website), it is basically a chipset-optimized I/O driver, to apparently speed up disk or bus I/O. Not sure if ASUS was reaching on that one or if anyone has actually seen IAA fix their problem(s).

If you've used IAA and it actually fixed your problem, please us know!

Compatiblity Mode?
-------------------

I recently received a USB Scanner from my father-in-law who couldn't get it working under WinXP. I looked online and got the WinXP drivers, and sure enough, no success. I kept playing with it though, and went into the application properties and set it to "Run this program as .. Win2000" and boom, the scanner now works.

I wonder if something similar can be done at a driver level? or with the video capture software?

If you have any information about such modes with drivers, please let us know!!

Summary
-----------

Well, that's about all I've got for today. Hopefully this will help spark more testing and as a team we can work these issues out for all card types in WinXP.

I do make one request. Those that post, please document the following in at least one of your posts (not necessarily every time, unless always applicable):

- mainboard type (manf, model, etc) and rev if you know it
- video card type (and rev if you know it)
- drivers (many already list drivers, but nothing else)

thanks!
dane walther

(I can also be reached with an underscore between first and last name, @ hotmail.com)

Hi guys, here's my setup:

Asus v8200 T2 (geforce3)
Technogarb drivers 28.32
Nvidia WDM 1.08
Asus DVCR 2.2

Everything is working perfectly right now. I want to upgrade to the latest Nvidia Detnonator drivers 40.41 and Asus WDM driver 1.19 . Since the technogarb drivers are not made anymore, is there a way I can SAFELY install the nvidia drivers without messing up my setup?
What about the Asus WDM driver? Is there a correct way to installing this driver?

Thanks!

hey, sorry to bother, but could anyone tell me where i could find asus dvcr 2.1? i've only been able to find 2.2

For all users of ASUS v3400 (and others) with WDM problems.

First some technical notes then something else you might like... :)

First of all I have to comps running W2k, one with a 440GX chipset and a v3400 card and one with 440BX chipset and a v6600. Using the NViDIA WDM driver ver 1.08 I have gotten vidcapture to work on the v6600 (no other ones worked, vga driver seem not to matter). However my v3400 could not work at all, no matter what vga and wdm drivers (ok I haven't test all versions). [morning]
Prior to all this I had noticed that I for a while had had a system component in the device manager, but the name was so non-informative so I didn't think much of it (ai2cnt is what it is called and you must select 'Show hidden devices' for it to be visible under 'Non-plug-and-play devices'). Anyhow it seems that it was the I2C driver from Asus that was failing. I do not know if the I2C driver is needed for WDM operation (that is if the WDM driver has some other I2C driver that it loads). So what the heck is I2C? I2C is a bus that is used to control passive components from PCI master (active) components. This means that the NViDIA chip NV3, NV4 (for TNT) and others up to NV25 (or what ever the GF4 TI500 is) uses this bus to commuincate with and control the video decoder. The video decoder (video-in) found on the ASUS cards usually comes from Philips and is a member of the SAA71xx chip family. The v3400 uses the SAA7111 (A or H). [smarty] After reading through some posts I found that there used to be a program called i2cinst.exe included in the old ASUS live and checking the versions of the files it differed between the two computers. I have know changed the driver file manually to be the same as on the v6600 comp (ver 1.30 of ai2cnt) and it no longer reports an error. So did this help me? No, but it might help some one else. [surprise]

So have you just been reading a lot of text in vain? [thumbsdown] No! [thumbsup] Because I have something else for you. Or rather Igor Lookin has something else for you. If you surf on over to you will find something as magical as a russian who has developed an entirely new WDM driver for all our video-capturing needs. His WDM driver does however not seem to support tools like Virtual Dub so I guess it is not a full WDM implementation in that it lacks DirectShow stuff. However he also supplies a video capture program called Video Live that supports DivX 5.02 and Windows media file capture. It is pretty sweet. [2thumbsup] Just don't forget to get the license file and unpack it in the program directory. Besides this he also has program for teletext, controlling your video decoder (if your smart you might even be able to uncrypt analog cable channels [bigglasses] etc. Hopefully I could make myself understandable, I'm really tired right now. Well, happy capturing and good night!

P.S please tell me if you get the NViDIA WDM driver to work with the v3400 (and especially if it is in a 440GX system) since I would like to have a driver with DirectShow support. Thanks.

P.P.S Sorry for all the lame emoticons, I couldn't help myself :)

More technical stuff

I just remembered one point that I was going to make in my original post.

After reading through a lot of information, posts, inf-files and code in Igor Lookin's SDK (which I also failed to mention) it seems that the NV3 (the one before TNT) and NV4 (TNT) are called in a somewhat different way than the NV5 (TNT2) and later. This might explain why in almost all ASUS and NVIDIA readme files the v3400 (TNT) has been dropped from 'Supported products'. Any info on this??

Well...zzzzzz

Ahhh crap, I'll never get to bed... :)

First of all there is a new ASUS WDM version that I have not tried. 1.19 for those of you who have not noticed.

Second. If you look in the nvcap.inf file found in the WDM install package and scroll down somewhat you find

HKR,,Address,,0x4a ; I2C address only important if
; VideoDecoder != AUTO

And of course video decoder can be set to all possible Philips decoders by

HKR,,VideoDecoder,,AUTO ; "SAA7111", "SAA7111A", "SAA7112V0",
; "SAA7112", "SAA7113V0", "SAA7113",
; "SAA7113A", "SAA7114", "AUTO"

Now, if set my videodecoder manually since I know (from Lookin's programs) what decoder I have. How do I then find what I2C adress to set for it? Please help!

Well... good night.

P.S All people not living in NTSC country (USA etc) should set their video standard in the .inf file prior to installing (regardless of WDM version) to something relevant for their country...

HKR,,VideoStandard,,NTSC ; "NTSC", "PAL", "SECAM",
; "NTSC_433_50", "NTSC_433_60",
; "NTSC_N", "PAL_433_60", "PAL_N",
; "PAL_M", "AUTO"

Of course you could do this using regedit post-install also.

Please note that the i2cinst.exe thingy included in some of the old ASUS Live packages might explain why some people state that even their WDM started working after installing Live. This also implies that the ai2cnt indeed is used by the WDM driver. So people what's your version of it??.

I my memory serves me right about reading that WDM started to work after Live install that is...

Could someone please just hit me in the head so I go to sleep??? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back