Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASUS CD-RW 52 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCserveGuru

Technical User
Dec 20, 2001
AU
Hi,
My ASUS burner brand new is having some major issues on my windows XP CDRW install. Windows wont boot with it attached. When I disconnect it Windows boots fine. I have tried booting to safe mode to install the CD-RW and this worked, but then when I go to open a CD with the drive the computer totally freezes citing a problem with the ide controller for device device/CDrom0. Event ID 11. Having many issues, it's not the cable as the original CD ROM works with it. I have updated XP with all the latest patches. Asus tech support have asked me to re-install the Operating System, which I thought was excessive.
Any thoughts or ideas out there?

Thanks,

Dave

some burners require that the cable jumpers be set to master.
You might look into that in your Burner's install instructions.

part 2
this would also mean that the original CDROM cable jumper setting would have to be changed to SLAVE

Hi guys,
Thanks for your help. The ASUS CROM is in a master configuration however I have them both on Cable Select. Should I change one to master and one to slave hard coded? I will try this. I have also updated the drivers to the 4 in 1 Hyperion VIA drivers which are basically the latest drivers for the chipset.

AG

Do you have an IDE cable that supports cable select? Are you using the right cable ends for cable select? The black end is the first device, the middle connector (grey) the second device if using cable select. The cable should have 80 conductors and not 40.

If you have the "regular" IDE cable, jumpering for Master and Slave would be a better choice.

For best use of the devices, using the newer 80 conductor cable would help set the optimal DMA mode for the devices. Optical controllers seem fussier than those for hard disks, and a new 80 conductor cable with Master/Slave jumpering would be the best setting in most cases with optical devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back