Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASUS agp error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoefie

Technical User
May 31, 2002
NL
Hi there, am running an asus 8200 T2 Deluxe video card having 64Mb of Ram. This is running on a MSI mainboard (K7T266 pro2) with 4x agp support. However, the system will only detect 2x agp. Tried to manually change bios settings but this lead to an instable system.
Have flashed the main boards bios already some time ago, does not seem to help either.

Two questions:
To what extend does this influence performance of the card?
Anyone any idea on what to do to resolve this?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

thanks, Rik

Make sure your Apeture size is set to 128MB or higher (if I recall that correctly).

Apeture size is directly related to the AGP rate on most boards (so far as I have seen and read, though I am sure there are exceptions out there).

Check it out and let us know.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip, changed to 128 Mb, and chose 4x in the bios settings. Asus system info now did indicate the card was used at 4x setting, but had flickering screens and strangely coloured blocks in Warcraft 3. Also, system was responding very slow to commands.
Have changed back to 'auto' in bios now, still on 128 Mb ap.size, and system is quicker again. However, Asus info now displays 2x agp mode.

so, still puzzled. any more tips or links I can visit?

Is your system BIOS up to date?

Is there a newer video driver?

Are you using the specified chipset driver for your AGP?

Try turning off AGP Fastwrites and/or AGP Sideband Addressing.

Just a few more thoughts.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back