Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASUS A7V8X and Serial ATA Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

knporter

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2002
US
Hello Everyone, I am going to be building a machine for a friend this weekend and I noticed that the new ASUS A7V8X motherboard supports Serial ATA hard drives. Does anyone know if any of these drives are available? Can it use standard ATA drives if they are not available? Also, is the faster memory (PC3200) available yet

Anyone have a suggestion for a different mobo?

Thanks,
Ken

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

--Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

Oh I didn't answer your other questions...I recommend Soyo boards just because I use them constantly and I have yet to have a problem with them.

The Soyo Dragon Ultra (Platnium or Black) SY-KT333
Asus A7V333
Of course, these are for AMD. DO you have a processor preference?
Check out for a complete motherboard ranking list.

Memory..I recommend Corsair and yes 3200 is available though unless you plan on overclocking your system hardcore, it isn't worth it at this point.
Jay [infinity]
"If the words up and down were reversed, would you trip and fall or trip and fly?"

The ASUS A7V8X uses the KT400 chipset and recommends using PC3200 memory, that is why I asked about that. I did a little more research and it has standard UATA133 support as well as Serial ATA support. The next question though is that this motherboard uses AGP 8x aka AGPpro aka AGP3.0 . I dont know if there are any good video cards available using this standard yet. This motherboard will not even boot up if you try to use an AGP4x card

I think we will just go with the KT333 chipset at this time, as usual there is always something better around the corner.

This machine is not for me, so while I might spend the extra money and get a P4, she is more price conscious and most people in this forum agree that AMD gives more bang for the buck.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

--Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

You can purchase the new Radeon cards particulalrly the 9700. It's one sweet card and the best card out at the moment (based on 3 different, non-biased reviews). Although it comes at a nice hunk of change $399 US. Jay [infinity]
"If the words up and down were reversed, would you trip and fall or trip and fly?"

I havent seen any serial ATA hard drives on the market yet. If they start selling the adapter plugs you could use the serial ata port with a normal hard drive. That would get rid of the fat cable at least. They may be out by XMAS along with Intel 3 Gig Processors. I am expecting them to cost a little more, so I would wait for a benchmark or two. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I've heard some other buzz about Optional integrated Gigabit 1000/100/10 Fast Ethernet on some of the new Asus 8X Motherboards. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back