Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus A7V333 - Very Slow RAID Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnybarr

MIS
Jul 25, 2000
GB
I have recently set up an ASUS A7V333 (with RAID) motherboard running RAID 0 on two DiamondMax 40Gb (UDMA 133, 7200rpm) HD's using FaskTrak 133. I am running windows 2000 and windows recognises the raid setup as one drive as does the BIOS. Everything is running fine but when I run PC MArk 2002 it gives me a HDD score of 738 which is 60 points less than I had before with my single UDMA 100 drive. SiSoft HD benchmark gives a score of 25000 when it says it should be getting 40000 points, what am I doing wrong? Is there a special way of formatting these drives?

AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
ASUS A7V333 Raid (Promise PDC20276 Chip)
512Mb PC2100 DDR Kingston RAM
GF II MX400

Thank you
Jonathan Barr

I guess I can start with the simple questions first. My apologies if you already tried this...

Does the BIOS recognize the drives as ATA133? Is the partition NTFS?

Also, if you are running Win2k, you will not get ATA100 support unless you run Service Pack 2. That may be your problem right there.

After that, I would check the drivers for that particular IDE chipset. Are you using the latest ones? Is there any FAQ's on Promise's sight about that chipset and Win2k?

Hopefully some of that will help...

1. Yes, the FastTrak BIOS setup recognises the drives as UDMA 6.
2. Yes, the partition is NTFS
3. I haven't got SP2 but i'll try downloading it now, thanks.
4. The drivers for the IDE chipset have been taken from ASUS's download page.

Does SP2 for windows 2k support UDMA 133? Is 64Kb per stripe correct?

Thank-you very much malden,

Jonathan Barr

1. Yes, the FastTrak BIOS setup recognises the drives as UDMA 6.
2. Yes, the partition is NTFS
3. I haven't got SP2 but i'll try downloading it now, thanks.
4. The drivers for the IDE chipset have been taken from ASUS's download page.

Does SP2 for windows 2k support UDMA 133? Is 64Kb per stripe correct?

Thank-you very much malden,

Jonathan Barr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back