Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus A7V266E stops to bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

virpima

Technical User
Apr 12, 2002
US
I have Asus A7V266E motherboard and Duron 1G cpu and Win98. I going to bios and i tell what cpu speed is and save it. Next couple boots it remembers it but sooner or later it stops again to bios and showing i need to enter speed, usually that highlighted speed is right. It doesnt loose any other setting in bios, just stopping to check is cpu speed right. Everything works fine, but its not nice system doesnt boot everytime without i need to push a key. I have seen other Asus A7V266E motherboard doing that same. Is it any way we can fix that, any experience?

Those Motherboards do this on purpose. It occurs when the board is not shut off using "soft power" (holding in the front power button or windows shutting it down). If the system is restarted or power cut to it due to lockups (or whatever), then it puts you back into the BIOS like this.

It is designed for overclocking. If you overclock it too far and the system horks, they you cut power, turn it back on, and it will let you into the BIOS so that you can set it to an appropriate speed.

If you don't like that "feature", then you will likely have to go with another manufacturer.

Hello virpima:

If you use the safe/default settings in the BIOS does this still happen? With these settings, does the booting problem still occur?

Yes, it is still happening sometimes, around 1 time of 10 normal booting. I have seen if i doing any hardware changes, example unplug ang plug keyboard it always going to bios first, but even if you dont change anything it stops to bios around every tenth time when you booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back