Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus a7v 200 fsb 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Does anyone know what the gigahert the ASUS a7v 200mhz fsb motherboard can go up to? it says up to 1 ghz and faster....what is "faster"?

thanks =)

The "and faster" means that when the advertisement was written, the fastest AMD chip available was 1GHz. The board probably has a multiplier that can suit a T-Bird up around 1.6 or 1.7GHz; AMD just has to design a CPU that can withstand the heat generated at those speeds.

hey thanks a lot...now i can buy a new chip without buying a new mobo!

You may well have to flash your bios in order to go to 1.2/1.4, I had to do this recently on my Abit KT7 for the same reason.
As was said above, because 1.2's weren't out when I and you bought our boards.
Be careful!! read all about it first, take your time.
Best of luck! Martin

I'm having a problem with the asus PC probe on my a7v.
It keeps telling me my power fan is below its threshold. Its not inactive, and is still running. Any advice?

I had the same problem psykster. A couple days later the fans really did quit. Now none of the fans connected to the motherboard work (including heatsink fan) and my processor overheats like a mad man. I don't know if it can be fixed or else I will have to get new mobo. :(

Hey marksOn, I recently had the same question for asus and got a reply. I asked specificly about the A7V133A mobo and was told that YES you can upgrade to the 1.4ghz processor only after updating the bios, which you can get from:

I hope this helps you out even futher. I am uncertain if you have to change the jumper settings manualy or if it will do that automaticly. If you own the same mobo, your bus will also increase to 266mhz. Your RAM on the down side will still run at 133mhz. PSYKSTER

Ok wait...so if i update the bios....i can run an AMD 1.4 ghz and my bus will also run at 266mhz? so that means i should buy the AMD 1.4 ghz 266 bus? cause i have a Asus A7v....and its 200 mhz bus.

These things must be true. First, you need to check the information on the ASUS site reguarding your specific board. Mine is as follows: With the Duron and lower speed Thunderbirds the bus=200mhz. With higher processors running at faster bus speeds such as the 266mhz fsb, the 1.4 Thunderbird for example will boost the bus to 266mhz.
It seems only true if your board includes the: VIA® KT133A chipset or VIA® KT266 chipset. If these match and you have the updated bios then in my opinion yes you should upgrade.
A good site I have used in the past has been PCBOOST. $156.00 with heat sink and fan.
I will be buying this processor in the coming month, if you are unsure about this decision, I will report back to you after I have installed and ran the processor.

Yeah thats the mobo i have: a7v VIA R KT133 AGPset. And how would i know if its at 266 fsb or 200 fsb..how do i check that? yeah and that would be great if u contacted me in a month when u buy the 1.4 ...thanks

You can reach me at scottkli@kscable.com I read and respond to my email at the same time. I do this many times a day so you should have no trouble getting in touch with me. But this site can be used if any problems arise.

Thank You,

Kliffton Scott

hey thanks a lot! So how would you tell what your fsb on the cpu would be? Would it be on your bios?

I looked into that, and so far I'm not sure. I was given information about finding it at the start up screen written as: 4.0x100 or something similar. I was unable to confirm this. Also I was told to look in the bios I didn't find anything helpful. I did upgrade to the 1005a from 1001c and found a system clock difference. The new bios lets you set the mhz higher and keep the multiplier close to the same. So 200mhz at 7.0 would give the 1.4ghz. Now how that relates to the fsb I don't know yet. Right now I have it set at 100mhz with a multiplier of 7.5= 750mhz. Is this 100mhz bus i don't know????

ok i looked up info at asus.com and it turns out that the asus a7v133 has 266fsb and the asus a7v has 200 fsb. I have the asus a7v...which one do you have? and so since my mobo only has 200 fsb...could i still put the 1.4 ghz 266 mhz in?

I have the A7V133A that supports 266mhz fsb, so I will buy the one that supports the 266fsb. You should buy the 200mhz one. It is the one that best suits your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back