Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus a7n8x Delux will a Amd 3200 XP work? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

menstroy

MIS
Jun 2, 2003
US
Hello,

I have the Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB and I currently have an XP 2600. Can I upgrade this to an AMD XP 3200? I am a bit confused cause on their site it mentions somethign about only certain bios recvisions will allow this chip to work because it is a 400mhz FSB?

As I mentioned I have an AMD XP 2600 and I wanted to give it a little more power.. any advise?

A7N8X Deluxe works perfectly with 3200+. "only certain bios recvisions will allow this chip to work because it is a 400mhz FSB" means you may have to update the bios.

Computers are unreliable. Humans are worse.

as far as updating the bios you mean flashing the bios? If thats all it should be an easy upgrade.

How about the speed, do you think its worth the money to upgrade from a 2600 to a 3200?

flashing the bios? yes

if i were you, i'd buy good cpu cooler or maybe even a water cooling system and overclock the 2600. 3200 cost more than two 2600 !!!!

For people that don't like to overclock, getting another CPU is the way to go. ;-)

Also, make sure you get a copper core type of heatsink at the minimum.

I can't get my Athlon XP 3200+ under 48C at idle with a copper core heatsink and Arctic Silver 5.

My XP 2000+ I managed to get to idle at 33C with the same type of configuration. Wish I could get the new processor to run that cool.

D

In my opinion it wouldn't be worth the expence.
Only later revision 2 motherboards (Nforce2 400 chipset) had oficial support for 400fsb although I believe unofficially once bios flashed earlier versions will take it.
Early NF2's were particularly fussy about memory and later NF2 platform drivers must be used to attain any sort of stability. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

paparazi....I have an early release A7N8X Deluxe running
DDR400 512mg x 2 w/ 2500+ AMD w/ 333mhz FSB. Asus V9280T/D
Video (Ti4200) 128mg DDR 8X AGP, a no name modem, and
WD Raptor SATA Drives Raid 0, running XP Pro.

A) can I flash this Bios and run a hotter cpu?

B) more importantly, I get reboots when typing online.
random and often.

Any help?

Thx

I'm sure I speak for many here in that I'm sure I could push both machines to 3200+ specs on air cooling with no problem. However, Tek-Tips is not an overclocking forum. If we open pandora's box here, it is unlikely you'll get the support to get thru the process.

That said, a visit to the motherboard manufacturers support site will let you know what you can drop in that will work. Some will say why spend the money but, they must forget you guys can sell the 2600+ and 2500+ for close to what you paid.

Regards,

Skip

SkipCox
I'm sure all Zeusasus is asking is if his motherboard will take a later 400fsb XP CPU's ie: XP3.0+/XP3.2+ 400fsb
I'm sure he wasn't talking about overclocking.
Udating the bios to accept the XP3.2+ or similar shouldn't be a problem, just that these earlier Nforce2 boards are more than a little bit tempermental so I can't gaurantee how stable it will end up being.
As it sounds like you already have stability issues, it isn't something I would advise.
The introduction of the Nforce2 ultra 400 chipset which had official support for 400fsb and was a great deal more stable (in my opinion)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

So whats the verdict then?

1. The old version of the MB will handle the AMD XP 3200? (Once being flashed with current bios)

2. Is the speed difference from an 2600 to a 3200 worth the 200bux or whatever the best going price of a 3200 is.

#1 i think yes
#2 no

paparazi....Exactly! Thx again. Maybe I can get Asus to
replace this MB w/New revision. I shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back