Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asus a7a266 motherboard "opportunity" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrymalega

Technical User
Jul 10, 2004
US
I just recently got an ASUS A7A266 motherboard with an Athlon 950 cpu attatched. I flashed the bios chip and started it with the minimum peripherals, ie: floppy, cd, formatted 1.2 gig hard drive and 1 stick of 64 meg sdr. I know about the heat issues that the 960 create so I installed a cpu fan on a short heat sink connected to the hard drive power plug. also I have a fan from an old power supply wired externally for 24 volts mounted about 3 inches from it and a fan mounted on the housing to exhaust the heat. My first boot was in the jumperless config. I got an error message saying that there was a conflict in the speed settings. ie: cpu/clock. The board is a 133/33. I would appreciate any input that anyone might have as to what I am doing wrong. I await your replys with baited anticipation.

From what I can determine, the Athlon 950 has a 200MHz FSB, so your CPU clock should be set to 100MHz.

the manual for that motherboard is wrong. set the jumpers to the opposite of what the manual says.

Definately select 100 for CPU as others have pointed out, not so sure about putting 24volts through a 12volt fan, it is sure to burn out very soon.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back