Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asterisk vs. IP Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

dibthree

Technical User
May 3, 2006
US
Any opinions on which is better and why?

So you compare an asterix with a real pbx

Why not an asterix ?
Because it is crap

Sure it works but no features,it is open source
There is nothing wrong with open source but if there is a problem you need to fix it your self or wait untill someone takes the time to fix it

It is also ip only, no analog or digital

I have replaced a couple of asterix for ipoffice and the customer is happy

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

I have replaced 3 or 4 of them with IPO as well.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Like alway,s the problem is not Astrix but the people how is suporting it.

Have seen great stuff with astrix, but made by good engineers. Same as IPO the engineer is responable for it.

but this is for almost al phone systems.

Greets Peter

I have a customer that makes IPO and Asterisk work together and it is amazing, but he is a programmer and has the knowledge to do so. If you are just decent on computers and don't really have the in depth knowledge to fix asterisk when it is broken then stay away from it, if you are a real geek then why spend money on an IPO, but don't expect miracles and don't expect it with 99.99% up time, make sure you still have analog lines left for calling when the Asterisk goes kaputt.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

What are the problems with Asterisk?

tlpeter:
So you compare an asterix with a real pbx

Why not an asterix ?
Because it is crap

I disagree with this. As the guys above said it depend of your knowledge on asterisk and linux.

If you want to spend lot of many for IPO fair play, if you want to get more deep knowledge choose asterisk.

Both of them have good and bad sides.

I use both and I have more problems with IPO than with Asterisk to be honest with you.

What are the problems you have with IPO that you don't have with Asterisk?

i dont think its going to be one is better than the other. find an Avaya business partner that can give you what features the IPO has that the asterisk doesnt. Then, find an asterisk dealer that can tell you the feature that the asterisk has that the IPO doesnt.

We dont sell asterisks at all so i cant talk bad about it at all. But, like most everyone else has said, it depends on the installer. And i can tell you that even if you do end up with a crappy installer, there are a lot more Avaya business partners than asterisk dealer to take over your account.

In speaking with both all I hear from the sales people is that the solution they offer is by far the better choice and getting support will be no problem.

Go one sitesurvey of a couple of there installs.

Greets Peter

like peter said, just ask for a couple of references. more than likely they would be happy to take you or show you some pics of their installations.

Asterisk is build to support upto 100 extensions.
Asterisk is full IP, can be a pain in the *ss
Asterisk is freeware, low cost for the software, high price for support and additional harware
Asterisk is not easy to install and maintain
Asterisk cannot do multisites like Avaya can
Asterisk has as many or even more bugs as the IP Office but the techs don't dare to admit it as Asteriks runs on Linux and anything running on Linux is perfect

If the local companies give you references from similar type businesses, with similar sizes, and parameters that is a good start, for further reference we will call these companies VENDORS.

VENDOR REFERENCES ARE WORTHLESS, BECAUSE NO VENDOR HAS EVER PROJECT MANAGED, INSTALLED, CUT OVER, PROGRAMMED, SERVICED, OR TROUBLESHOT A SINGLE PHONE SYSTEM IN THE HISTORY OF PHONE SYSTEMS. The vendor is of no importance the technician is the only real importance, followed by the project manager which is the only other factor.

Also get the direct email, cell, or other number of the tech in case you need to find someone who is of their caliber in the case that the vendor loses access to a tech of their caliber.

like all phone systems there are good points and bad points good engineers and lazy engineers

All software has bugs depends on your use of the system you will have 10 customers on a level of software and 1 customer has major issue's

it's all down to what you want or need from the system

if this is for your buying

list the features you need and get the sales or tech guy to show it working live

I have a friend who configures and installs Asterisk for small local businesses and it works well.

As a "techie" with no experience in Linux i attempted to get Asterisk going at home, i was successful. But it was tough going and i wouldn't ever change from IP Office to Asterisk just because of the level of technical know how needed to keep it maintain it.

If you fancy getting into Linux, its a good project to attempt. If pretty technical, especially with Linux, i'd go for it as it's worth a go for the price conscious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back