Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Associating Files with XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRen13

Technical User
Dec 9, 2004
US
I run XP Home Edition and recently ran into a problem with my system not starting. The stop message I received was "stop: 0XC0000008E(0XC0000005, 0X8060AB13, 0XF76089AC, 0X00000000)" which I could only troubleshoot down to corruput or missing drivers. Since my OS is an OEM product I tried to download the updated drivers offered by Gateway. Unfortunately, my system would not read the disk upon start-up. I then tried to perform a repair and my system would not perform the repair. So I tried to perform and in-place upgrade, but while that was in progress I would receive an error stating "the product I wanted to upgrade could not be found". After several attempts at these three methods, I re-installed XP but I did not create a new partition so now I have the corrupt version and the newly installed version in the same partition. I know how to remove the corrupt version but is there a way to associate the newer version with my existiing files and programs? Any help or reference to some material on this area would be greatly appreciated.

My first question is do you have an ati video card?

I think your problem is your video card because i have heard of problems like this but the only thing i dont understand is why the computer wont boot! (maybe a memory conflict) I have heard of other people having this problem through other forums. With your corrupt install boot in safemode with networking capabilites and go to and download the correct driver! See if that will work if not I would think that it is some type of memory issue! Im not totally sure though! Good luck!

The best the I can tell I am running a NVIDIA GeForece2x 100/200 video card. Does this sound right? II used the Everset software to run an inventory and this is the only card to comes up. Unless I am looking in th wrong place.

NoobX - That is my main issue. My corrupt system will not boot up even in safe mode. It asks if I want to perform a repair then it will not let me perform the repair...vicious cycle I tell ya. Also would you know if removing the corrupt version will remove my files as well?

Thanks guys for you help. I never could find the drivers for my video card from the manufacturer. I do now have proof positive that all my photos and MP3 are gone. Now I just need to somehow remove my corrupt verison. Any advice will be appreciated? Thanks again!

never heard of that video card. What you can do to find out what video card you have is go to properties on your desktop then click settings and then click advandced and it will tell you what card you have! Also, make sure your not having any irq conflicts. If you pull something out of a pci slot then plug it into another without changing bios settings your computer will not boot! Because plug and play will send the wrong irqs to the wrong pci slot! Also like bcastner said dont assume your files are gone just b/c it is corrupt run recovery console on your comp with your windows boot disc! Good luck

I had a similar problem with XP Pro. The system froze trying to boot. I removed all the cards, sound card, modem and the system booted up with no problem. I installed the cards one at a time and found that the sound card was the culprit. I removed the drivers for the sound card and tried to reinstall new drivers. Same problem. I bought a new sound card and the problem went away. I figured bad sound card.

NoobX - I was right it is a NVIDIA GeForece2x 100/200 video card. Thanks for the word of caution on the irq's.

happykappy - I may have to give you method a go at it. I've been busy and I haven't been fully able to try NoobX and bcastner's remedies just yet. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back