Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Associating file extensions with programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyramus

Programmer
Dec 19, 2001
GB
How do you go about setting which program runs a particular file extension? So for example, I want program.exe to launch whenever a file with extension .ext is run. Is this info in the registry somewhere?

The easiest way is to do this:
Open a folder.
Click on tools in the menu.
Then click on folder options.
Then click on the file types tab.

It's pretty self explanatory after that. Hope this is what you're looking for and not a programatic explanation. MYenigmaSELF:-9
myenigmaself@yahoo.com
"If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in." --Dykstra

Given that I'm posting in the Visual C++ forum, I'm quite obviously looking for a programatic explanation.

It's got something to do with CWinApp::RegisterShellFileTypes and CWinApp::EnableShellOpen. MYenigmaSELF:-9
myenigmaself@yahoo.com
"If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in." --Dykstra

Did you see my solution in the Microsoft C++ forum?
Steve [dazed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back