Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Associate degree from University !

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixthebug2003

Programmer
Oct 20, 2003
US
Hi,
Can somebody comment on getting an Associate Degree from Devry university..in New Jersey. Devry was more of a techincal institute..but eventually they grew up and now have University Programs also !!

Fixthebug2003

While not Devry University, I recently completed my Associates with a college in my area. While important to employers, my only reason for it was advancement. I had no desire to go back to school and don't think I picked up too much new information. I have since began working towards my Bachelors at another university, again for advancement purposes only...

Depending on your desires and finances, I say go for it. If you want to ever get into that management position, you will eventually need it. But if you don't want those responsibilities, I say spend your money on more technical-based training that will benefit you i your work performance.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+
w: rljohnso@stewart.com
h: wildmage@tampabay.rr.com

Beware of technical schools that offer bachelors degree. Get as much information as possible from both the school and the state department of education regarding accreditation. Though some of these schools are now offering bachelors degrees, they are not recognized in many cases the way a bachelors degree is granted by say, the University of Minnesota.

As of the comment, "I say spend your money on more technical-based training..." which would do you more harm, in my belief, than a well-rounded education which emphasizes skills, such as, critical thinking, etc.

flatwater is correct -- a degree is worth much less if the university that bestowed it isn't accredited. At a minimum they need regional accreditation. In my area, it's the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (
For a technical degree, accreditation by an industry organization is probably not required, but is a very good idea. For compsci, it's the Computer Science Accreditation Board ( run as a joint venture between the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) and ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology).

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Interesting to note that Phoenix is NOT on the list of CSAB accredited computing programs schools.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Well, that's something I wasn't aware of as a co-worker is working on a Masters in Info Tech from Univ of Phoenix (he's already got a bachelor's in CS from another Univ), but most people who attend Phoenix are persons who are already in industry (in some cases for many years), and want to persue a degree.

Regardless of which is actually better in terms of knowledge, there is a perception in our country (and possibly others) that you need to have a degree to do well.

Since it seems as though this perception is held by most companies out there, whether you will actually perform better with or without a degree becomes almost a moot point.

As mentioned in a similar thread in this forum, at most places you will need a degree if you want to move forward.

Bryan
--------------------------------------------------
KruppCon -

CajunCenturion wrote:
Interesting to note that Phoenix is NOT on the list of CSAB accredited computing programs schools.

Neither is Carnegie-Mellon. :)

The Computer Engineering Department at CMU has been accredited by ABET - Accreditation Board for Engineering Technology

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

You will find it under the Accredited Engineering Programs

Good Luck
--------------

Who would have guessed that the accreditation list would be broken into computing and engineering categories, particularly when you select "all programs?" Be that as it may, my original statement was accurate... ;-)

Ok, so as not to create further confusion, CMU is under Accredited Engineering Programs, not Accredited Computing Programs. And Phoenix is nowhere to be found.

I firmly believe in Devry. I got my B of CIS from Devry in Phoenix and it was well worth the gov't loans. lol

But in all seriousness, I have yet to meet a colleague who didn't have respect from my degree at Devry. The instructor's were great (had a statistics teacher that used to work on NASA projects) and the hands-on experience in EVERY technical class I had helped immensely.

I went to FK (Phoenix College) and ASU but did not receive attention or first hand experience as I did at Devry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back