Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assistance Configuring Fibre Symmetrix Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotraidbox

Technical User
Sep 30, 2003
US
I am trying to install a 3830 with fibre interfaces and cannot seem to get the director options to work correctly. I have tried the defaults and changing some options ( unique WWN / enable point to point / enable hard addressing / FA port common sn / disable queue reset / enable fibre path on this port ). The LUNs may show up in HBAnywhere (or not depending on combinations of settings) but are not seen by the system.

Can anyone point out what works with W2k / Emulex LP8000 (option settings for card also?)
Thank you

2 questions:

1. FC-AL (Direct Attach) or FC-SW (switched fabric)??
2. Symmetrix Microcode level?

Provide me that info and I tell you the correct FA directores flags.

Cheers.

BTW, you must use the EMC crtified drivers and BIOS, not the general ones. in Emulex.com you have an "EMC" link in order to get the correct drivers and Firmware/BIOS.

Cheers.

1. for testing/getting operational using 1 cable, will possibly be connecting multi hosts to it through a connectrix.
2. code = 5265.56

Thank you for the BTW, - I found the link and am downloading/installing EMC versions (after removing Emulex versions.)

FC-AL: direct connect:

Common Serial Number (C)
Disable Queue Reset on Unit Attention (D) **23
Enable Hard Addressing (H)
Enable Point to point (PP)
Enable Volume Set Addressing (V)
Port as Disk Array (A)22
Tagged Command (T)
Unique World Wide Name (UWN)

if using VolumeLogix, turn on "VCM".

**23. D Bit Optional with PowerPath

FC-SW: SAN:

Common Serial Number (C)
Disable Queue Reset on Unit Attention (D) **23
Enable Hard Addressing (TP)
Enable Point to point (PP)
Enable Volume Set Addressing (V)
Port as Disk Array (A)22
Tagged Command (T)
Unique World Wide Name (UWN)

if using VolumeLogix, turn on "VCM".

**23. D Bit Optional with PowerPath

Cheers.

sorry, in FC-SW I put "Enable Hard Addressing (TP)"... use TP, the name is erroneous, but TP is correct.

Cheers.

BTW, if you are connecting HBA via direct attach (FC-AL) you must specify it if the bios config of the HBA (when you reboot, you hit <alt>E or something like that). If you are using FC-switches you must specify it as well. so:

Direct Attach : FC-AL or Loop Mode
Switches: FC-SW or Point to Point.

You can have automap enabled in order to get all LUNs automatically.

Cheers.

Hi Gotraidbox,

Don't forget to use the elxcfg.exe tool provide with the Emulex driver.
elxcfg.exe and HBAnyware.exe are in the "Emlxapps200a2.zip" file which is contain in the "port-5-2.21a7-2b.zip" file which is available on the Emulex web site at :

And don't forget to use it as follow : elxcfg --emc in order to create the special entries in the registry table of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back