Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assignment Units when adding a resource to a task 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2011
GB
Hi folks ...

Until recently I have been able to add a resource from a Resource Pool to a task and set the Units to 0% initially - this had the effect of leaving work assigned to existing resources unchanged. BUT in the last week or two MSP has started to recalculate the Work assigned to each of the existing resources. I noticed that no matter what I put into the Units cell when adding the resource when I hit enter and MSP returns to the Task usage view that the Assignment Units shows as 100% and I am guessing that this is what is causing the problem.

Does anyone know why this might be? Have I inadvertently changed an option somewhere? Maybe MSP has changed and I didn't notice.

Running MSP 2010

Thanks

kevin

Panic over :) ..... the reallocation seems to have been caused by the task being set as Estimated ... when I untick the Estimate box in the resource allocation form the existing allocations remain as they were (the new resource still gets allocated at 100% but no time is given)

Hi WaterGypsy,

The Estimated check box shouldn't have anything to do with it. In earlier releases (prior to Project 2010), the default was that tasks were effort driven. So, if you added more resources to a task, the total work would remain the same and the work would be distributed (based upon assignment units) to all resources. The default in Project 2010 changed so that tasks were not, by default, effort driven. If you are re-using a project or template from earlier releases, it is possible the tasks are still effort driven.

Check the Task Form (split window from a Gantt chart) to confirm whether the tasks are effort driven. If you want to check/change many - just add the Effort Driven field to a table.

Thanks Julie

I think it must have been a coincidence that made me think I had solved the problem - the plan that worked also had existing Work = Actual Work on the task I updated so clearly MSP couldn't reallocate the actual work and I assumed it was the Estimated flag.

We use a Fixed Work task type which has Effort Driven ticked and greyed out so I guess it's the same thing.

Do you know if there is any way to override the way MSP forces the (Allocation) Units to be 100% regardless of what I enter in the Task Information box when I add a new resource?

kevin

Hi Kevin,

You are correct - Fixed Work tasks are effort driven and cannot be non-effort driven.

Regarding the problem with the Task Information form and assignment units - it is a known issue and is on the radar. I can't promise anything but I'd make sure you are applying the public updates over the next few months.

You might want to check out the September public update. It has changed some things including the ability to work with he Task Information form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back