Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assigning static IP address - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

comsys

Programmer
Nov 7, 2003
US
Hello,

In win2000 server OS, I have assigned a static IP. When I removed network cable, I'm not able to access my share folder(Within the same system) by UNC path.
example \\pc\share1 or \\pc\c$.
How do I make my system to have static address visible even if the cable is removed. When I tried to access share (\\pc\share1), I get a message: Network location cannot be reached. When I plug the cable back I could see the static address, able to access the share folder by using unc path.
With XP home or pro, IP remain exist when cable is removed.
Any idea??
Thanks
Appreciate your help.

You can try adding the machine name to the HOSTS file with a 127.0.0.1 address, which should make it always look at localhost for the info.

Yes, I did add loopback (127.0.0.1) address to host file in
winnt\system32\driver\etc. Also added private IP address in host file which I have assigned as static. Still I'm not able to access share folder using UNC path..
ipconfig /all gives Network cable disconnected , H/W address, it does not display the static address that was assigned.

Thanks for your reply.

Don't add the static address to the host file, just the machine name mapped to 127.0.0.1.

For example, have your hosts file look like this (assuming your machine is named "BOB":
Code:
localhost     127.0.0.1
BOB           127.0.0.1

My question is: How do I connect to a share folder by using UNC (Ex: \\computer1\sharename1) method.
conditions:
1. Connecting to the share folder on the same computer, no remote connection involved.
2. when the network cable is disconnected.

Works:
When the cable is connected to another computer (Note I want to access only share folder(local) on my pc)

So, why do I need the n/w cable connected to a router or to an another pc to access my share folder(local share folder) though the share folder is located in my pc

ipconfig /all, gives cable disconnected..
But I can ping my computername , result gives pinging host 127.0.0.1.. Network card works fine, host name is mapped to loopback. Why I'm not able access my share folder with UNC method.. I want to assign a drive letter to a share folder.
like "NET USE G: \\computer1\Share1" since the cable is disconnected it says network cannot be located.

Any idea??

Please help me..

I'm having a similar problem with

NET USE LPT4 \\MY-PC\MY-PRINTER

where MY-PC is the local PC and MY-PRINTER is a printer driver installed on the local PC.

Works fine with a network lead plugged in, but not without, even though everything should be local

In fact, even:

NET USE LPT4 \\127.0.0.1\MY-PRINTER

doesn't work, so the adding of a line in HOSTS doesn't help.

Even more interesting, I find this works on some machines but not others! Perhaps its a NIC dirver issue.

Comsys, if all you need to do is map a local drive, you could try use a subst command:

SUBST G: C:\xxx

where xxx is the path you want to map to. I use that all the time when I'm not in the office, to create a mapping to a local copy of data that would normally be on a network drive. Then wherever I am I can have all my links pointing to G:

If anyone can help with the printer mapping, I'd be grateful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back