Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assigning resources to tasks - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

groston

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2001
US
I would thinkt hat this should be easy, but given that MS Project and I rarely see eye-to-eye...

I have a task that starts on a given day and must end by a given date. The resource (person) that is to be assigned to this task should need no more than a specified number of actual work hours to complete the task.

How can I twist Projects are to do this? The way it should work is that I should specify the start and stop dates (either directly or by using links) and the number of hours. Project should then load balance this across the number of days and compute an average average daily work load.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

----

Gerry Roston
gerry@pairofdocs.net

I can understand why you don't see eye-to-eye with project ... you have little understanding of it.

Change the task type to fixed duration.

Well, yeah. Fixed duration. And then add a "must start on" constraint. And then, in order to get the finish date (when you have set it to fixed duration)you must change the duration, not the date, to get the correct finish date without messing up the start date.

From that point you can assign a resource and enter the resource's hours, and Project will adjust resource "units" to fit your task.

But you are constricting Project. You are telling it that your dates won't change (good luck), and that your resource can do it for the hours you say, and that this task must sit there like a rock while any linked tasks get messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back