Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assigning permissions to snap server folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve00

Technical User
Jul 22, 2005
GB
Just writing this in the hope someone else here has experience in setting up a snap server.

What I've done is to create a top level folder on the snap server and have shared it to that allows everyone to connect to it. So far so good. Now I've also created some users & groups within the snap server admin tool and now I want to create folders within that top level share for each user/group that only they can access. From reading the documentation I was under impression that I could map a folder on my Windows xp pro machine to that top level folder and then add folders and assign permissions to those users/groups via the standard windows permissions window. If I map a drive to that top level share, it prompts me enter a username / password, for which I can enter any of the users I've created and it lets me in and I can create folders. If I look at the permissions for that folder I can see that its added the user I've just logged in as, but it won't allow me to add any other users/groups, it says it can’t find them.

If I want to create a folder that only userA can access, I have to login as userA and create the folder, then log out and log in as userB and create their folder etc. I was hoping I could just log in as the admin and create all the folders and then go through and set the permissions.

Anyone else done this? Is this the best group to post this in?

Many thanks, steve

Depends on the Snap Server model. If the unit is one of the smaller units (1000,1100,2000,2200,4000,4100,12000) then use have to assign file and folder permissions using the SnapOS webui.

If you are using the Guardian Linux Os Snap Servers (14000,4400,4200,4500,15000,18000) then you can assign permissions using the standard windows XP way of assigning permissions.

Thanks clonny,

I have a 4200 running the Guardian OS. So I can use the standard xp permissions windows? I wonder why i'm having the problems listed above then. Any users created in the Guardian OS just won't show in the windows permissions windows, unless I map the drive as the user and then create the folder.

Any ideas?

Which vesion of the Guardian OS do you have? I know that with each version of the Guardian OS there have been numerous enhancements in the ACL / Permission area and compatibility with the Windows method of assigning permissions.

Are you in a Domain?

There is a bug, and the way to get around the bug is that when you are asked for the credentials put the name of the Snap Server before the user name you are logged in as.

Example, to connect as User A you would type SNAP_SERVER\User A as the user name.

Which vesion of the Guardian OS do you have? I know that with each version of the Guardian OS there have been numerous enhancements in the ACL / Permission area and compatibility with the Windows method of assigning permissions.

Are you in a Domain?

There is a bug, and the way to get around the bug is that when you are asked for the credentials put the name of the Snap Server before the user name you are logged in as.

Example, to connect as User A you would type SNAP_SERVER\User A as the user name.

I'm running Guardian OS 3.2.019 SP1. I've set the snap server to work in a workgroup and i'm trying to use a laptop (not in a domain) to setup the permissions.

I'm sure I tried the Snap_server\user method, but i'll give it another go and see what happens.

Thanks Clonny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back