Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assigning a static ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

columbiavol

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
US
I'm trying to assign a static ip to a W2K Server machine. No matter what ip address I assign, I get an error message that the ip is already in use on the network. I know this is not true because I can assign that same static ip to another machine with no problem. I have all the latest patches and service packs installed. The machine has only one network interface installed. The machine is routing through a SonicWall firewall but I know that is not the issue because I can assign the same ip to another machine. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

The error message is - "The static IP address that was just configured is already in use on the network. Please reconficure a different IP address."

Actually, I disconnected the ethernet cable from the NIC card, entered the static ips I needed, rebooted the machine and plugged the ethernet cable back into the NIC card. It works fine now.

Oh - the joy of computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back