Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assign Result to Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalVis

Technical User
Jun 26, 2002
US
i'm using Acess 2003 front end and backend is SQL Server 2000. i created a blank database and link it to SQL Server via ODBC. i'm trying to create form so the user can search/update/add record to a table. on the form header, i have a combo box base on the task table, once the user select a task code in the combo box, the code run and query the task table for a record match the task code selected in the combo box. if the query find a match, i want to display that record in the detail section. the combo box is working fine. however, when i click on the search button, i receive the following mesage: "Compile error: Invalid use of property". Below is the code behind the command search. i'm very new to Access and VBA. Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Private Sub cmdSearch_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_cmdSearch_Click
Dim strMsg As String
Dim strSQL As String
If Len(Me!CboTaskCode) > 0 Then
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM dbo_tblTasks WHERE TaskCode = '" & Me!CboTaskCode & "'"
'Assign RecordSource and display Detail section
Set Me.RecordSource = strSQL
'Call DisplayDetail(True)
Else
strMsg = "Please select a valid Task Code"
'Hide Detail Section
'Call DisplayDetail(False)
End If

If Len(strMsg) > 0 Then
MsgBox strMsg, , "Can't Display Task"
Me!CboTaskCode.SetFocus
End If
'resize form
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSizeToFitForm

'Screen.PreviousControl.SetFocus
'DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 10, , acMenuVer70

Exit_cmdSearch_Click:
Exit Sub

Err_cmdSearch_Click:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_cmdSearch_Click

End Sub

Try to replace this:
Set Me.RecordSource = strSQL
With this:
Me.RecordSource = strSQL

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

One guess, change
[tt] Set Me.RecordSource = strSQL[/tt]

to
[tt] Me.RecordSource = strSQL[/tt]

I think also this
[tt] If Len(Me!CboTaskCode) > 0 Then[/tt]

might be a tad dangerous, perhaps change to either
[tt] If Len(Me!CboTaskCode & vbNullString) > 0 Then[/tt]

or
[tt] If Trim(Me!CboTaskCode & "") <> "" Then[/tt]

Roy-Vidar

Thank you all for a quick respond. i removed key word 'Set' as you suggested. Now when i select a value and click search, nothing happen? can you please advise.

i forgot to mention that no data display in the detail section and no error/warning message return when i click search. thanks

You do not appear to be checking if any records are returned. Perhaps you could check for a RecordCount?

like i say, i'm very green to this. what does that mean? i select a task code i know that is existing in the task table. what does RecordCount have to do with the record existing in the task table and when i select it does not show in the form detail section?

Are the controls of the detail section bound to the new record source ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Does a

[tt]me.requery[/tt]

after assigning the recordsource help?

Testing for a recordcount can help find out where the problem is. If the recordcount = 0, then there's something wrong with either the SQL, the criterion or something like that, if it's > 0, then there's something related to the form, for instance a missing requery, some property of the form is set incorrectly (for instance, check the ones on the data tab).

Roy-Vidar

below is my latest code with the form requery as you suggested. still nothing happen

PHV,
Are the controls of the detail section bound to the new record source ? how do i check this?

thank you

Private Sub cmdSearch_Click()
Dim strMsg As String
Dim strSQL As String
'If Len(Me!CboTaskCode) > 0 Then
If Len(Me!CboTaskCode & vbNullString) > 0 Then
'DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM dbo_tblTasks WHERE TaskCode = '" & Me!txtTaskCode & "'"

'Assign RecordSource and display Detail section
Me.RecordSource = strSQL
Me.Requery
'Call DisplayDetail(True)
Else
strMsg = "Please select a valid Task Code"
'Hide Detail Section
End If

If Len(strMsg) > 0 Then
MsgBox strMsg, , "Can't Display Task"
Me!CboTaskCode.SetFocus
End If
'resize form
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSizeToFitForm

Exit_cmdSearch_Click:
Exit Sub

Err_cmdSearch_Click:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_cmdSearch_Click

End Sub

Are the ControlSource properties set to field names of dbo_tblTasks ?

Hope This Helps, PH.

PHV,
i just apply your suggestion by going into each control in the detail section and set it to the corresponding field in the dbo_tblTasks. when i run the form, i see #Name? in each control but still nothing display when i select a taskcode in the combo drop down and click search. anything else i should try. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back