Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assign a REXX to a key 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatoriver

Programmer
Mar 23, 2009
US
How can i assign a REXX to a normal key, not a pf??

What platform?

Frank Clarke
--America's source for adverse opinions since 1943.

All the m/f operating systems are interrupt-driven and respond only to certain keys as "interrupt keys": PF1-24, ATTN, SYSREQ, PA1-3; there may be a few others.

So the short answer to your question is "no".

Frank Clarke

could i trigger a rexx by a event?, for example when A starts trigger rexx b

There are packages such as CA-7 which carry out their mandate (sometimes) by "watching" for certain events, such as the creation of a dataset of a particular name, and then act as instructed.

There is no built-in way to do this in z/OS; you have to have the package, or you have to write code (usually in Assembler) and you have to be veryveryvery good at it.

Alternatively, you could set up a scheduled task on Windoze and have it FTP JCL to the mainframe to run a task there.

Frank Clarke

This sounds like the type of task you'd perform through your console automation (i.e. Netview or other products), but the O/P is being rather vague for anyone to offer much more input on this.

Depending on what software you use to connect to the mainframe you may be able to write a macro or script to do this. In my previous employment I used IBM Personal Communication to connect. I mapped the key sequent Alt+L to run a script that would do a login to ISPF. It would accept input for the password and then do attention keys such as [enter] or [pf3]. If your software allows for keyboard remapping you may be able to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back