Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asset Management - Listing of Items Collected

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnt25

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2003
US
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to use SMS 2003 for an asset management tracking tool in addition to software distribution and patch management however I have not been able to acquire a detailed listing of items that are collected on during hardware inventory.

Would anyone know where to find this?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks so much,
Matt

I use SMS 2003 for hardware inventory and can't think of anything that it won't pull. Basically it gets whatever is in the WMI. Are you looking for something in particular?

Hey Mich,

Thanks for the reply. Actually a better question would be is there any limitations on what can be collected on during hardware inventory that you are aware of?

I've run into problems when trying to collect on the NIC duplex and speed in the past. These are the types of things i would be interested in knowing.

Appreciate any feedback you could provide.

THanks,
Matt

Well hell, now I'm aware that it's damn hard to pull speed and duplex settings. From what I can tell, if you want to use SMS to pull that data you have to install nic WMI providers on every machine you want to monitor. I cannot find duplex anywhere in the WMI (except in printer settings), so it may not be possible to get that data.

At this point we're getting over my head. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mick (I spelled my name wrong when signing up)

Hey There,

ok well the NIC duplex and speed is a known issue and hard to capture. Regardless, I still am interested in what else can be collected on during hardware inventory like machine type, hotfixes, memory, drivers?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

You need to run 'wbemtest.exe' it's normally in c:\windows\system32\wbem. If in the 'NameSpace' box you type root\cimv2 then click 'connect'. In the next window click 'Enum Classes' and under 'SuperClass Info' window, leave it blank and click 'ok' you'll see a list of properties than can be picked up for your use. Look at the Win32 prefixed ones, and double click each one. In the Property box of the next window, you'll see at the bottom all the Hardware inventory items that can be collected for that item.
They can, of course, be added to by editing the sms_def.mof file but that's a different story.

Hope that helps,

Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back