Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assessing network

Status
Not open for further replies.

goal

MIS
Apr 26, 2001
GB
Hi,

We, as a company, are starting a project to improve our network (Both LAN and WAN), remove bottlenecks etc and have it running to its highest potential. In order to identify the problem areas we are looking at software packages which may help us.

Can anyone recommend any software, from personal experience, that may help us with this task? can you give reasons for your recommendations (I myself must justify the product to upper management).

Many thanks in advance,
Andy Fletcher

Two pop into my mind... Solarwinds for any Cisco related network and/or general network mapping via SNMP. It provides both euipment database and performance stats.

SNIFFER ( or equivilent) in a must for network analysis. This gives you the best picture of the networks health.

MikeS "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Wow...

Ok... start with Sniffer or EtherPeek to check for packet-level errors (such as excessive broadcasts or some ICMP traffic that indicates possible routing, configuration or hacking problems). Then add a copy of NetDoppler from WildPackets and do some latency and throughput testing. Get a copy of Scott Haugdahl's book on Network Analysis and do some math -- what's the maximum throughput you should expect? What packet size are you using? What applications are on the network? Who're the top talkers (bytes/packets)? ....

I could go on forever...

wybnormal and packeteer are right about making sure the physical level is OK as a very first step.

If you are fairly sophisticated already (Sniffers in place and using SNMP Management), take a look at Network Health from Concord Communications. It builds a 6-week history and points out potential trouble spots (utilization, errors, FECN/BECN, collisions, etc.) and even organizes them based on severity. We have really benefitted from this package. Trend reporting is great for capacity planning.

If you have SNMP management available on servers, look into Server Health from them as well.

There are competitors with other products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back