Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aspnet_wp.exe Using Page File Instead of Physical Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMiyake

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
US
I just noticed something weird with our production web servers. First, here’s the basic config:

Dell Blade Server
Windows 2000
IIS 5
.NET Framework 1.1 SP1
1.4GHz Processor
2GB RAM

Now, here’s my problem. Our web app is having memory issues which is causing the aspnet_wp.exe to hit the max memory (40%, or 800MB) and is constantly being reset. I was monitoring the available physical memory when the process reset (dropped to 175MB), and it never changed. It looks like the process is using the page file instead of physical RAM. We have 1.47GB RAM available. Does anyone know how I can force that process into the physical memory instead of using the page file? I’ve Google’d and searched these forums, and I can’t find anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

In the properties of Network Connections...

Select your appropriate network connection, select properties, select File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. Change the Server Optimizing to Maximize data throughput for network applications. Complete this for the

See if that helps/assists.

Made that change. I'll monitor the app. I think I may have to either restart IIS or reboot the server to commit the change though. I'll pull 1 server from the pool and see what happens. Thanks!

Tom

That didn't really do it. What we ended up doing is upgrading to IIS 6. We were getting out of memory exceptions a lot from our app, and the upgrade fixed that as well. It still isn't able to use physical RAM to handle the application, and I think it has more to do with the architecture and code. The application is definitely more stable on IIS6.
If you give me some more information about your environment & the issue, I can try to help. I’ve actually still working on this issue with our developers now.

Thanks,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back