Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aspnet_wp.exe hangs on certain apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

WynneSMI

Programmer
Dec 16, 2002
US
I have an issue with a .NET web project that I cannot figure out. I have one web app that I run and from time to time, I will get the yellow error page stating Configuration Error <add assembly=&quot;*&quot;/>, (I get this error immediately on access the web page) this is already have the project has been built and has been running fine for a while. Once this happens, I notice in my Event Viewer, under Application Log there is an error entry ASP.NET 1.0.3705.288, if you open it up it says aspnet_wp.exe (PID: XXXX) stopped unexpectedly. The weird thing is all my other .NET apps still work fine. This app I'm having problems with is the only app with an Oracle backend DB, the rest use SQL server. I also notice in my bin folder of my web project the file oip8.tlb is in a locked state, you can't delete or rename it because it comes back with a sharing violation. The only way around this mess is to kill the aspnet_wp.exe process which will (most of the time) recycle itselft, the other option it to restart IIS. This kinda annoying since it's only one app not working but you have to restart everything to get it working again. Any ideas what in the world is going on???!?!? I hope the above info is useful.

I get this often when I'm running in debug mode. I have not found an answer for this issue other than I try to cancel aspnet_wp.exe or reset IIS and it doesn't work. If I stop the process, save the solution and reboot then next time I try it works.

My guess is that something in the code crashes and corupts the aspnet_wp.exe and it doesn't recycle properly. Dllhost.exe is supposed to recycle with your COM plus applications but that always worked inconsistenly for me as well.

Try running your app in debug and step through the code and see if something isn't working or set properly.

Patrick Murphy
SmartSignal Corp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back