Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aspnet_wp.exe could not be started 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

baycolor

MIS
Mar 23, 2005
US
Any help would be appreciated. Please note I'm not a W2K admin. Not even close. I'm just doing some research as our IT department is swamped and can't get to this.

I attempted to install Crystal Reports Enterprise Server on a Windows 2000 system. The system has ASP .NET V1.1 on it.

The software installs without a problem. When you try to click on the Crystal Reports Administrator link that takes you to the application admin page the browser hangs and eventually displays the message:

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

I then went into the event view (took me awhile to find out how that's how much of a rookie I am) and found this message:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1084
Date: 6/8/2005
Time: 1:44:57 PM
User: N/A
Computer: RPC1059
Description:
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is 80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

I have looked googled for these messages and found a lot of info about errors like this but every Microsoft fix site I get sent to or other solution postings I find all seem to indicate that this shouldn't be a problem with .NET V1.1 on Windows 2000. But obviously it is.

NOTE: This system has several other sites/applications running on it without any problem.

It sounds permissions related.

Anyone ever seen this?
Have any ideas about where to start looking or how to fix this?
Need info I can pass along to our IT departmnet.

Thanks in advance.

Locate machine.config
(try C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\CONFIG).
Open machine.config in Notepad or other text editor.

Search for this string: "<processmodel"
In the processModel element, change userName="machine" to userName="SYSTEM"

Save the file and exit. In the Run box (Start > Run) execute this command: iisreset.exe .

This thread is old - but Holy Crap!

It fixed my problem. I looked at the MS site to see what I could find and it was soooo complicated. Thanks Chosen1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back