Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asp won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

danalynn

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
US
i have created some asp pages. when i go to look at them or run them i recieve a downloading screen. i don't want to download it just look at it. what do i have to do to stop receiving this window?

thanks

dana

you need to have Personal Web Server (PWS) running on your system. You can install it through your control panel (Win 9x), add/remove programs, windows setup. It should be somewhere in there.

after you have PWS up and running, you can view your pages by typing

in your browser

hope this helps
leo

Then you need to be accessing it via http:// protocol...

i.e. -- you can't just dbl click on the file from your explorer window (or My Computer) and expect it to run. It must be in a published directory and accessed like Leo suggested above.

good luck! :)
Paul Prewett
penny.gif
penny.gif

okay maybe i am not explaining myself enough, or i am just completly lost. as youc an tell i am very new to asp. i can pull up my asp pages by clicking on them, once they are part way loaded then it comes up with a download screen where then it takes me to Visual InterDev. once i download it or open it up from the current location. i have tried to access it through local host ex: http:/localhost/dana.asp. but does not work. it comes up with page cannot be displayed. i have everything that i want to use in my folder under InetPub. So i don't know if i am doing anything wrong or not.

please help, i hope this is more understandable

thanks

dana aka CheekyD

try putting in a regular html file into your and make sure that you can access that through localhost.

ex:
(your default homepage)

If you can get to it, then there's a chance that the MIME types for PWS aren't set correctly.

((the following is good information for anyone trying to set up WML on PWS as well))

Open up any old folder in windows explorer, click on View .. Options. There's a tab there called File Types.

Since I'm at work right now, I can't verify what the mime types/extensions should be for ASP files, but once I can I'll be sure to post back.

good luck
leo

when i do what leo told me to do

what should the actions be in the edit file type window?

all i have is edit with visual studio
should there be more?

Please let me know the OS you are using and may be i can help you as i was facing a similar problem and managed to solve it.

Ok i guess the problem is the NT 4 option pack.
You NEED to install that and that is when your programs will work.DO you have that?It comes as a part of the NT kit.
In case you dont i have been told that you can download it from the microsoft website.Just go to microsoft.com and search for it in the downloads section.
In case of anything else please let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back