Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP VS ASP.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

moley

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2002
GB
HI,

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ADVICE ON DOT NET?

I CURRENTLY HAVE ASP3.0 AND SQL SERVER7 SYSTEMS OVER NT NETWORK. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CHANGING TO DOT NET???? IS IT WORTH ALL THE RETRAINING? IT SEEMS EVERYONE IS RIDING ON THE HYPE BUT I HAVENT BEEN CONVINCED AS THE PEOPLE WHO THINK ITS THE DOGS B****CKS CAN RELLY TELL ME WHY.

ANY ADIVCE?????

The only thing that I can tell you is that you'll probably hear from MS, or any other IT firms, that they will claim they have another programming language that you should learn after a year or two learning of ASP.NET

We're currently learning dotNet ourselves .. but only because our development area is going that way (manager decided right, now we do dotnet!)
If your current systems are struggling or not coping then maybe I'd look at moving to newer technologies, but honestly if your systems already do what you want there might not be a point moving just yet.

Transcend
[noevil]

I agree with Transcend that you shouldn't port applications unless you have to - which you shouldn't if they have been built correctly.

For new applications though, ASP.Net gives you a much more stable and better enironment to code in. VB.Net and C# are mature languages which have much more functionality available built in from the framework than VBScript did. You can also step through ASPX pages line by line so you don't have the nightmare of trying to work out exactly what is going wrong in your code. You get all the server controls which can speed up development IF they are the right choice.

Yes there is lot of hype, but there are some serious benefits of using it. I suggest trying on a smallish project and see whats what. If you use VBScript then VB.Net isn't too much of a jum, even less so if using VB6, and the .Net IDE does give you lots of help in getting it right.

James :) James Culshaw
james@miniaturereview.co.uk

Thanks culshaja and the rest,

I think being able to step through the code will be a huge time saver. Does asp.net have any known problems with SQLserver7 or 2000? I think we will be going the dot net way anyhow so any issues would be great to know. Any CDONTS issues??

I'm also looking at sms messaging using asp (or dot net). Is this possible using the exchange server? I'm not really sure how this works.

Thanks

Moley

"Its better to have nothing under your handle, than something stupid!"

You don't use CDONTS anymore :). The .Net framework has SMTP mailing built in. It also has native SQL Server access through the System.Data.SQLClient namespace. Can't get any better. They are all managed calsses. You can also download SQLXML3.0 for some addition managed classes.

What do you need server wise to run .net???I'd like to mess with it / learn it... can it run on PWS with some kind of addin or something???

You just need to install the .Net framework on your desktop. If it is Windows NT4 or 2000 just add the IIS component in the add/remove components applet (if Win2K) or install it from the NT4 Option pack. Its best developing on an NT based platform rather than Win98/ME.

Its best developing on an NT based platform rather than Win98/ME.

Technically it's best doing anything on an NT based platform instead of 98/Me :)

-Tarwn --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
No more vacation for me :(

FAQ FAQ20-2863
= new Forums.Posting.General.GettingAnswers()

Depending on how your site currently is, you might get a little benefit out of upgrading from SQL7 to 2000. SQL2000 does execution plan caching, as well as some other performance boosting. It is also leaps and bounds better at clustering. :)

Using ADO.NET w/ the native SQL driver will perform better thant ASP3 w/ OLEDB. However, if you are using ODBC right now to connect, switching to OLEDB will greatly improve performance.

baddos,

I currently use asp3 w/sql7 on iis4 and the following connection:

sub openConn
Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Conn.open "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password= ;Persist Security Info= ;User ID= ;Initial Catalog= ;Data Source= "
end sub

Is this optimised???

Cheers

Moley

Hi,

you are using the correct OLEDB driver.

You need to make sure the connections cursorlocation is set to adUseClient. Its not just about the connection its what you do in terms of stored procedures, and using disconnected recordsets as well. Connection pooling also plays a part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back