Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP to PDF suggestions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmath

Programmer
Dec 12, 2003
US
I am trying to allow users to view the results for an ASP page in PDF. I am generating my pages using ASP and SQLServer 2000. Does anyone use a PDF converter that they really like? Or have suggestions on how to convert with out having to purchase software? Thanks in advance for the suggestions!!!

AS long as it is just text your wanting in the PDF here is some code I have used before.

You might look into ghostscript or xpdf. Both of those have the power to do what you want. The other way I was able to do this was to use a COM component developed and distrubuted freely for ghostscript.

Hope that helps.

Cassidy

Thanks! Do they both support images fairly well? Which one is the easiest to use?

Yes they support images very well. I have heard really good things about ASP-PDF. However it is expensive. You can accomplish the same thing for no cost with a little research on the ghostscript or xpdf.

GhostScript:

XPDF:

I know that Ghostscript already has a COM component developed that you can use in ASP available for download at the site.

If you are willing to spend the money ASP-PDF is definatly an easier tool to use. I have it and the COM component is easy to install and the functions are easy to use.

Hope that helps

Cassidy

CassidyHunt, I have a search on my site, which includes not only stuff in the database but also RTF files that we have on the web. Now my boss said he wants our search to be able to search through PDF files. I would be very thankful for any help!

regards,
rydel n23

It is possible. However all the methods I have tried are very slow. You can read just the text using Active X portion of Acrobat reader that is installed when you install reader. From there you can customize the search anyway you like.

My best advice to you is to build a database that you can search first for your results to narrow down the file access time. On my system I have roughly 13,000 PDF files. In a directory with 100 PDF's it seems to take about 4 minutes to search the text and pull up the results. Most of my users won't wait that long.

If you are going to start tearing apart the PDF files like this you might think about biting the bullet and ordering Adobe's SDK package. Last I knew it was about $1500. I do not have the package here, but at my last postion I did and it had a search built into it as a function. That seemed to be very effiecient.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Cassidy

I have been using activePDF at my job. I find it fairly straight-forward and simple to use and install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back