Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP to JSP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorajc

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
US
How hard will it be to move ASP to JSP? Are they really different? AJ
I would lose my head if it wasn't attached. [roll1]

My guess is that it will be a bit more difficult then moving to PHP. Java usually takes advantage of servlets, which cam be a bit more difficult. Mike Wills
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Moving from ASP to JSP will be pretty straight-forward with the exception of two things:
1) If you are using custom COM objects in your ASP pages then these will need to be rewritten as Java objects. If you are using third-party COM components then you will definitely have to do some research into this area to determine if there is a Java equivalent or if you will need to write it yourself.
2) If you want to move to a MVC architecture with Servlets/JSP then you will need invest alot more time up front. This is a definite paradigm shift from the traditional ASP model of programming. There are many benefits to this type of architecture and I recommend that you heavily consider it.

BTW, there are tools that handle the base conversion for you. You may need finetune items afterwards but you can expect these tools to do most of the grunt work. Check out ASP2JSP at or J-ASP at
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thanks you 2.

Star for you wushutwist for the links AJ
I would lose my head if it wasn't attached. [roll1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back