Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP Sql-Server ODBC Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhair

Programmer
Aug 20, 2001
GB
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Client unable to establish connection

IIS4 on NT4 on MachineA, SQL-Server 2000 on NT4 on MachineB.

SQL-Server 2000 has "SQL-Server and Windows" checked in the security tab.

The above error started to occur after I unchecked the "Enable Automatic Password Syncronization" in the IIS properties for the web site. If I check it again then everything works fine.

I unchecked this as it was suggested by MS in order to get the FileSystemObject to read files on a network directory. Unchecking "Enable Automatic Password Syncronization" fixed the FileSystemObject problem but then the above error started. I can only seem to have either FileSystemObject OR the ODBC connection working.

Any ideas on how to get them both going.

Cheers

Chris

You appear to be using NT authenticaion for your SQLServer, you could try setting up a user account in your database and then using that account to authenticate rather than NT authentication. I believe the option is in the same place as the option to use SQL-Server and Windows.
You will need to set up a second account (if your using the sa account, if not, you won't need to)
It may be easiest to then setup a DSN (Administrative Tools, Data Sources (ODBC), System DSN)
Then use this DSN to make your databse connection.

Since you wil no longer be using NT authentication to log on to your SQL Server than you should be fine.

-Tarwn --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
For my next trick I will pull a hat out of a rabbit (if you think thats bad you should see how the pigeon feels...) :p

Guess I should have metioned I'm already using an DSN conncetion using a SQL-Server user (not sa).

Sorry, my mistake, had the options backwrds, blame it on lack of coffee, I'll look into it real quick and see what I find :)
For my next trick I will pull a hat out of a rabbit (if you think thats bad you should see how the pigeon feels...) :p

Sorry, don't seem to have a machine running IIS4 right now and don't see the option in IIS 5

I did find this page after a quick search though, it may help:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but my db was broken for a while so I am in that state of "if I touch anything it may break again" :)

I hope the above link helps you clear it up though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back