Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asp site transfered to non asp host

Status
Not open for further replies.

dearjohn

Technical User
Jul 26, 2003
US
A potential client came to me with this problem - his host went out of business and he transferred his entire site to Yahoo Bus. Svc. Bad move, since his site was written with .asp and YBS doesn't support it. He asked me to try and get the homepage up and running at least - problem is, when I access the page, it is not legible (it looks like machine code). The entire site is like this. I don't have any experience with .asp at all, and very little with php, but was contemplating either making it static, or attempt to rewrite it with php. Any ideas? BTW - to further complicate, there is a flash intro that leads to a flash homepage, but there are no .fla files to be found for editing, only the .swf files.

It sounds like whoever wrote the code for the site may have used some script encoding to prevent casual viewing. Probably the MS Script Encoder. You can easily tell as the first line on each page will be
<%@ Language="VBScript.Encode" %>
or
<%@ Language="JScript.Encode" %>

On the flash files without the .fla to edit you are stuck.

It will probably be simpler to re-host on a windows system, that way at least the site is running straight away.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I agree with Chris's suggestion of a Windows host. If it absolutely has to be rewritten I would suggest PHP. If the ASP page are written in VBScript it will be fairly easy to read the code and convert it almost 1-to-1 over to PHP. You could also look at products like ASP-to-PHP that do the conversion for you :)

-T

barcode_1.gif

Thanks for the replies - now I have even more concerns. The old host said there is no backup copies, and I'm thinking more and more that the files were corrupted in some way. I'm afraid that even if we were to switch hosts it wouldn't work. Here is an exerpt from the homepage saved in .asp:

<html>
<head>
<title>XXXXXXX</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;">
<!-- Fireworks 4.0 Dreamweaver 4.0 target.

Created Mon Mar 11 00:04:32 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) 2002-->
<script language="Javascript"><!--
if (screen.width <= 640) {
document.location =

"8x6/index.htm";
}

else if (screen.width <= 800) {
document.location =

many more lines of code,
.....THEN COMES THE JIBBERISH ------>>>

<div id="Layer2" style="position:absolute; width:189px; height:192px; z-index:4; left: 355px; top: 201px"><object

classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="
width="190" height="170">
<param name=movie value="poly&esc.swf">
<param name=qualiØ„O¯_¹Fº‘¨ {àˆ
ž³ 8¶ï¸a”pʶ¸„;#
ˆÆïoœ?
ì

û¶Sa¥ƒd—µûoñÖœ’ȼF²êy3†_vÇé¸{/Y™Å3 .AL–ìFS0‰XóæÚY|ÍÝ– ÁÙ„1C0³|ÊñÛLŽ éÙ§ùN ¼bpÈŸ×[û Öß½X=~£B`2? 1˵¾°

0þ‰©•)…ÁŒíVWÒ´x•ÿÖwbTŒOS˜ï(Zzîý;ÏÁŒ]AjAAAAôñ6AAæÅ6Añ6ùÍ=z“Näü©£]ߢÜOñ»À#ˆCô/âj%œgÞuu܇¨û…ÖéÃd4ôzòvø(ü­þ`;‹…+EÙôÉoï#¡„Z]e'-ì£Å_Ì?¡º)DNÝQ~^«²

L•K×v@OÈ
x0’%öN6»Å6&åBÒµ8×ËAÎ ìS%‡»„joˆ2xsÙp¤*™Û&ÿAÖT¿T‘4ím—]’Ë5÷Ù?ƒ<N¸°ºJ#ÖÕ Ovȸ V¨`G1)¢#a~sßiMŒ…ØŠ\}r³Àx]›¤ÆœâëÔÐÇ}|ò/úÔ

³‘–‹ß)»Æã¶bÕ/‚õÓØŽøje—²£Å?zÐq•pÝè>Š-»[„€y¶ýsn².>³Œzòp=§§à×:c¯ÅØú–H¹L¼þÚ~UÕ›ù#õÃѶñP;•ôîxT?w³¾ò®"¹—¾}ÊÖo`NɱZB""
aùŽbfiÇEfœÒ„„õë‘Xûj¯ñ£’Ѐ`æ8zf¹„ãýd;
Î ]—þ Èù¯âóM‰BñĶM20€¶;u}÷25ra

definitely corrupt. looks like FTP could be a possible suspect by using the wrong transfer type.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

If the old host doesn't have the backup files, it looks this poor guy is totally out of luck. Is there any process or company that you are aware of that could "DEBUG" the corruption, or are we better of starting from scratch here? As it is, I'm thinking I'm way over my head with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back