Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asp related IIS slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

wduty

Programmer
Jun 24, 2000
US
I'm finding a significant slowdown in the browsability of asp pages on an NT/IIS4.0 setup. This behavior is erratic and seems to follow when changes are made to either HTML and asp pages on the server.
For example, a series of changes made via ftp to HTML or asp pages seemed to cause a considerable slowdown in pages with medium to heavy asp content.
Restarting the server seemed to clear the problem until we started making changes again then the problem reappeared. The slowdown also affects ftp access. After leaving the server alone for a while (no changes made to files) the server seems to go back to normal. This is otherwise a fast dedicated server. Anyone who has experienced this or knows about it - comments/suggestions welcome...

[sig]<p>--Will Duty<br><a href=mailto:wduty@radicalfringe.com>wduty@radicalfringe.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

You're using FTP, not Front Page Extensions, right? And no modifications to global.asa??? No COM changes?? You should be okay.... Are your objects cleaning themselves up well? (set obj=nothing) Does it take about 20 minutes for the server to clear up (could be session-related)?

[sig]<p>Monte Kalisch<br><a href=mailto:montek@montekcs.com>montek@montekcs.com</a><br><a href= MVP for ASP</a><br> [/sig]

All asp pages are @EnableSessionState=false

I have had problems in the past after changes to the global asa, but not in this case. (plus the problem persisted after restarting the server (I mean the machine itself).)

No Front page extensions.

No COM changes. (With the perpetually shifting demands of this client, COM is basically out of the question for anything of any useful size).

I'm extremely neurotic about making sure ado and other objects are closed and set to nothing promptly.

Also the problem cleared up miraculously after a few hours and has been fine since but it's alarming because this site will go live hopefully in a few weeks and this would be a serious problem if it occurred in a live situation.

The other strange symptom I noticed was: when updating a file, if the ftp connection was terminated abruptly (because it was stuck) the file would sometimes disappear from the server completely (!?). I would then have to repeatedly attempt to upload the file to get it back in place.

Perhaps it was just a temporary thing but I guess I'll find out one way or the other. Thanks for the suggestions.

[sig]<p>--Will Duty<br><a href=mailto:wduty@radicalfringe.com>wduty@radicalfringe.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back