Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP/RDC Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcassie

Programmer
Jan 21, 2002
AU
I am wondering if somebody can help me out with licensing for the RDC in Crystal Reports v8. Recently for the first time I received the error:

"Crystal Reports ActiveX Designer error '80047cd5': There are not enough Concurrent Access Licenses to log you on. This system has 5 Concurrent Access Licenses. Please try again later, or contact your system administrator to obtain more licenses. Licenses can be purchased direct from Seagate Software or through the Seagate Software Online Store. /app/AlwaysRequiredSteps.asp, line 54"

Crystal told me that this error shouldn't have occured in v8, that it was a v8.5 error (I found that I have a v8.5 craxdrt.dll, I guess this caused it?). I haven't heard back again from Crystal about this, but am wondering if the 5 user license applies in v8. I had previously been told that using ASP is the free alternative to CE/WCS, I also thought that Crystal's licensing policy didn't get strict until v8.5.

Thanks,

Robert Cassie
Applications Developer
Plum Financial Services

To the best of my knowledge, V8 has the new licensing rules. Certainly ASP is not the "free" alternative.

The support page describes how to get rid of a session as quickly as possible in ASP, but it has nothing to do with the overall limit of 5 concurrent users.

Releasing Crystal's session variables does have something to do with the number of licenses because if you're the only user and you run a report, close the browser, repeat 4 times, you're out of licenses! This is what I'm trying to find a solution for...

I was having the problem with 8.5 and used the cleanup.asp and the code to call it which can be found in either SmartViewerActiveX.asp or SmartViewerJava.asp. All of these files and other samples are part of aspxmps85 which can be downloaded from Crystal's site. But before any of this worked, I had to stop and start IIS to clean out the report licenses.

The scary thing about cleanup.asp is that it does a Session.Abandon.

One thing you could try is to set your Session.Timeout down to 1 minute or 2 minutes. The default is 10 or 20 minutes, I forget.

Just to let you know about the licensing in 8, you are only allowed 5 Concurrent users at one time but there was nothing in place to stop you from allowing more than the limit to run reports(you were supposed to monitor the number of CAL's yourself). With the new version 8.5 they implemented something that monitored the number of CAL's(Conncurent Access Lincense's)that were being used at on time.
To get to the reason why the CAL's seem to get eaten up so quickly with your 8 the session timeout is defaulted to 20 min(as balves said).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back