Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP page doesnt load when tryin to get data from a LINKED access table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970

I have an ACCESS DB(97) which is queried by an ASP front end. This application is on the internet.
In the ACCESS DB, one of the tables is linked to a table in another access database which resides on our intranet.
When I query this LINKED table my ASP page does not load. I get "The page cannot be displayed" error in my browser.

On the other hand when I import this table instead of linking it, the ASP page works just fine.

I checked for permissions on the LINKED table and found everything was in order. My guess is...the script might be running out of time to perform the query on the LINKED table, but somehow I dont get the script time out error.
I also tried to change the "Time Out" and the "Buffer Size" property of the DSN to "120" and "4096" respectively but that didn't help either.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? and if yes, is there a solution for it?

Thanks.

There are two ways a page can time out:

1) on the server side. The server will time the page out if it feels it has run too long. This can be fixed using the Time Out etc you tried.

2) on the browser. The browser itself can time the page out if it feels that it hasn't gotten any response in a while. This can be fixed by writing to the browser now an then. Make sure page buffering is OFF and then do a response.write every now an then to keep the browser connected (for long recordsets maybe every 20-100 or so). Harold Blackorby
hblackorby@scoreinteractive.com
St. Louis, MO

Harold,

The reponse time is immediate. The minute I hit the submit button, I get the "Page cannot be displayed" error.
So, now I dont know if its because of the Time out property or something else.
The browser doesn't even wait a few seconds before giving the error.

If you are using Internet Explorer, Go under Tools...Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab and make sure "Show Friendly HTTP Errors" is unchecked. Then try your page again.

With the "Show Friendly HTTP Errors" option, it will display generic HTTP errors, not an ASP, SQL, ODBC, etc. error.

It sounds like there might be a problem with your code. Harold Blackorby
hblackorby@scoreinteractive.com
St. Louis, MO

try putting the intranet table with the linking table.

regards
srikanth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back