Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP.NET Web Controls not visible on Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

dareseka

Programmer
Oct 16, 2002
US
I'VE HAD IT!!! I'm a VB (6-.NET) programmer trying my hand at ASP.NET and I've been dealing with this same problem for days. Here it is:

I've created a number of aspx files with server controls; everything look fine on my pc, but when I try and access the pages from another client workstation, the controls are not visible (accept for labels).

Both machines have: Windows XP, .NET Framework 1.1.4322, and Service Pack 2.
I've done all the following steps on the client PC:
1. Installed Service Pack 2
2. Installed .NET Framework 1.1
3. Registered the Framework using regsvr32
4. Registered the WebForm controls using aspnet_regiis -i
(not necessarily in that order)

What more is there?!
Any help would be great... that way I can keep what hair I have left.

what sort of controls are you talking about here?

this has nothing to do with the client where the pages are being visualised. also the client does not need to have the .net framework installed, IIS or service pack. the client needs only a browser... and all thje configuration is done on server. the server is the only one that needs iis and framework installed!

--------------------------
"two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do" - the unknown sage

DaZZleD (!), thanks for responding

I agree that these things shouldn't have to be installed on the client; those things were installed as part of my trouble-shooting process (again, I'm a newbee at web development).
The controls that aren't visible from the client are all Web Forms controls (TextBox, DropDownList, DataGrid, you name it), except the Label(?)... the Label is the only one that appears.
It's one of those "It works fine on my PC, but on everyone else's..." bits.

Thanks again!

are the controls creted dynamically? or at design time?

--------------------------
"two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do" - the unknown sage

I have the same problem when I moved my asp.net app to an XP machine. Worked fine on my 2003 server but I have the exact problem that you have dareseka!

I have gone through similar steps.

All of my controls are created at design time.

Never mind, I anserwed my own question. If you install .Net Framework before IIS you get this result. Uninstalling the .Net Framework and resinstalling fixed the problem.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back