Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP.Net MVC Book Review and Musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

My thoughts on ASP.Net MVC followed by a review of the Apress book Pro ASP.NET MVC Framework by Steve Sanderson. It is a great book if you are interested in learning about ASP.Net MVC. Please let me know if you agree or disagree with my pros, cons or my general thoughts on ASP.Net MVC.

While I agree with your POV on MVC it comes across harsh and/or arrogant. I'm sure I've come across the same to others with my responses on this forum.

While each one of us is responsible for our craft; we don't know what we don't know. If a developer doesn't know about automated testing (it's very easy in the MS bubble) then how can they be lazy for not using it?

I think the biggest advantage of an MVC framework is separation of concerns. I can create the css/html independently of how data gets to the view. Conversely I can design how I get data to the view, without carrying about how the data will be presented.

I have a feeling you would enjoy the book MS MVC in Action. Not only does it cover advanced uses of MS MVC, it's also using 3rd party framework you are familiar with (NH, Castle, Structure.Map, etc).

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190

Thanks jmeckley, quality comments like that are exactly why I wanted to post my review here.

I agree there are a few harsh statements, but nothing too offensive. Some of the statements apply to developers of all platforms/languages. Specifically the comment about lazy people not learning/trying new things. I know plenty of java and php developers that quit learning/trying new things years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back