Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP.Net is only compatible with IE???

Status
Not open for further replies.

eramgarden

Programmer
Aug 27, 2003
US
I'm developing my first ASP.Net project. Have a book from Mike Gunderloy..I think he has something in his book that ASp.Net is compatible with Mozzila and Netscape...

On my login page, i have a field validator that makes sure a value is picked from a dropdown list.

In IE, it works and displays the field validator
In MOzzila, it doesnt and gives an error

Do i need to do anything especiall to make it compatible with other browsers??

All ASP.NET does is render HTML and Javascript to a browser, so it should work with Mozilla (there are a few things that are IE specific, like Smart Navigation, but those are exceptions to the rule).

What is the error you're getting? My first guess would be that IE allows for the javascript that the validator uses and Mozilla has it turned off possibly?

D'Arcy

Also make certain that the client script is set to javascript and not vbscript. Look on the project properties/designer defaults and make sure the dropdown is jscript not vbscript.

I checked the "designer" and it is set to "JScript".

In IE I cant get pass the login UNLESS i enter the values in the 2 textboxes and choose a dropdown value. This is correct

In Mozilla , the validtor sometimes works, sometimes it doesnt check for the validation and goes to the next page without geting the right values.

IE allows for the javascript that the validator uses and Mozilla has it turned off possibly ... Where do i need to check in Mozilla to see if it's turned on??

I added "Page.IsValid" on the onClick of the submit button and now Mozilla catches the validators...

However..howcome Mozilla gets rid of button background colors and button sizes??

This is the .Net code with image colors and sizes
Code:
 <TABLE id="Table1" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="200" border="0">
	<TR>
		<TD align="middle" colSpan="1" height="50" rowSpan="1"><asp:button id="btnHome" Width="150px" Font-Bold="True" BackColor="LightSlateGray" runat="server" Text="Home" Height="50px"></asp:button></TD>
	</TR>
	<TR>
		<TD align="middle" height="50"><asp:button id="btnSite" Width="150px" Font-Bold="True" BackColor="LightSlateGray" runat="server" Text="Site" Height="50px"></asp:button></TD>
	</TR>
	<TR>
		<TD align="middle" height="50"><asp:button id="btnIncident" Width="150px" Font-Bold="True" BackColor="LightSlateGray" runat="server" Text="Incident" Height="50px"></asp:button></TD>
	</TR>
	<TR>
		<TD align="middle" height="50"><asp:button id="btnContact" Width="150px" Font-Bold="True" BackColor="LightSlateGray" runat="server" Text="Contact" Height="50px"></asp:button></TD>
	</TR>
	<TR>
		<TD align="middle" height="50"><asp:button id="btnMyESP" Width="150px" Font-Bold="True" BackColor="LightSlateGray" runat="server" Text="MY ESP" Height="50px"></asp:button></TD>
	</TR>
	<TR>
		<TD align="middle" height="50"><asp:button id="btnLogOut" Width="150px" Font-Bold="True" BackColor="LightSlateGray" runat="server" Text="Logout" Height="50px"></asp:button></TD>
	</TR>
	</TABLE>

This is Mozilla code , with colors and size removed!!

Code:
 <TABLE id="Table1" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="200" border="0">

<TR>
		<TD align="middle" colSpan="1" height="50" rowSpan="1"><input type="submit" name="SideMenu1:btnHome" value="Home" id="SideMenu1_btnHome" /></TD>
	</TR>
	<TR>
		<TD align="middle" height="50"><input type="submit" name="SideMenu1:btnSite" value="Site" id="SideMenu1_btnSite" /></TD>
	</TR>
	<TR>
		<TD align="middle" height="50"><input type="submit" name="SideMenu1:btnIncident" value="Incident" id="SideMenu1_btnIncident" /></TD>
	</TR>

<TR>
		<TD align="middle" height="50"><input type="submit" name="SideMenu1:btnContact" value="Contact" id="SideMenu1_btnContact" /></TD>
	</TR>
	<TR>
		<TD align="middle" height="50"><input type="submit" name="SideMenu1:btnMyESP" value="MY ESP" id="SideMenu1_btnMyESP" /></TD>
	</TR>
	<TR>
		<TD align="middle" height="50"><input type="submit" name="SideMenu1:btnLogOut" value="Logout" id="SideMenu1_btnLogOut" /></TD>
	</TR>
</TABLE>

You may want to check out the targetSchema property of the document. I thought I saw a schema for Mozilla, but I could be wrong.

TargetSchema only gives me 3 option:

IE 5.0
IE 3.02/Navigator 3.0
Navigator 4.0

Hmmm...the pain continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back