Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP.NET calling unix scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyc71

Programmer
Apr 9, 2004
US
Does any one know a way to call unix shells scripts from ASP.NET using VB.NET ?

I'm confused here, are you running .NET framework on a unix box? Do you need to call a shell script on a unix box from a windows box running .NET? How do you have this setup?

I wasn't aware that there was a working implementation of the framwork for unix OS's.

I'm running .NET in a Windows 2003 server. I was wondering if I could make a call to a remote server. In vb 5 and 6 I was able to accomplish that by using WINSOCK to connect ot unix and call the required commands.

Any ideas how I can accomplish the same using ASP.NET

You could use System.Net and System.Net.Sockets to accomplish the same task as winsock. For minimal changes to your existing code, you could create some type of wrapper class that calls winsock functions, although I'm not exactly sure how to create such a class; it is possible, and you can find examples of wrapper classes in the VS.NET 2003 documentation.

And a third option is to use a web service, and have a process running on the unix box actually call the script. Web services on Unix are not as simple as just using [WebMethod] (ha!), but you can setup a web service that works with .NET using XML and SOAP libraries for unix. If you go this route you might also want to checkout Microsoft's Web Services Enhancements 2.0, which allow you to work with the SOAP messages and underlying protocols that [WebMethod] hides.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks nwdurcholz!

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll have to do some more research on how tu use xml and the SOAP libraries to create the webservice in unix.

Martyc71

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back