Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP Login 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeAway

Programmer
Jun 6, 2003
AE
Hi Experts,

Please can you help, i have a flash movie that allows the user to login to access a products download area. This works prefectly in that i pass the login details to my asp page, run the query and return a true or false based on his credentials. I also pass back the users fullname from the database for "niceties" so i can pop up a message box (javascript alert) welcoming him back. What i want to do is to be able to use the fullname on a page after the logon, ie. the "success page", where i can list the available products for download and also a textbox at the top with his fullname in it. I can trap the fullname in a variable in the logon frame (ie where he puts in his details), but when i route him to the success page i cant send the value with it. What i would eventually like to do is trap all his details and display it on a "Account edit" page.

Thanks

When you say "page", are you talking about a different .swf or what? A new html page with a new movie?

[conehead]

hi again, sorry i shouldve explained myself better, what i meant was i want to be able to use the fullname on a different frame. so basically replace the word page with frame. i need to use the variable on frames later on in the same flash movie.

once you get the variable into your movie it should be available for use until you reset it... are you sure you are "linking" to your variable correctly when trying to use it (ie: may need to go from _root)

[conehead]

this is what i thought, conehead can i ask a favour please.
lets say frame 100 = login frame
in this frame i set a var myName=this.Fullname;
**** Extract from success if then section****
var myName = this.fullname;
getUrl("javascript alert.... + myName +...)
gotoAndplay("101");

if success then frame 101
in here i want to set the value of my textbox = myName
lgnName.text = myName;
should this be something like lgnName.text = _root.myName.

please note that frame 100 and 101 are on different layers.

hi again theconehead,
its sorted, i shouldve been using a global variable,
ie. _global.myName = this.Fullname;
as then i can call this variable at any time. thanks for putting me on the right track.

so this part works?
var myName = this.fullname;
getUrl("javascript alert.... + myName +...)
gotoAndplay("101");

but this does not?
if success then frame 101
in here i want to set the value of my textbox = myName
lgnName.text = myName;
should this be something like

yeah try this
lgnName.text = _root.myName.

[conehead]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search