Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asp extensions and paying for submission??

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmak

Programmer
Apr 7, 2003
GB
Hi there 2 questions:

I know a guy that has a website -
He has saved all his pages in aspx extensions! He has submitted his site to the search engines but has not been listed! I take it that search engines will not read aspx??

So i was thinking of making a doorway page in standard html - is it worth it?

The second question is that he would like thew website to be submitted to the major search engines but doesnt want to wait a few months for it. What is the cheapest and best solution for this? He has a maximum of £100 to spend!

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

As far as ASP goes. When a spider is going through a site and gets to a ? in the string, it will stop. ASP generates the ?. There is a fix here:

I know there are sites out there where you can submit you site to many of the top sites, but I am not sure where it is right now.

I would get listed here:

I would just go to all the main search engines and figure out how to submit to them.

Also look here for a good list of search engines by country:

Jeff
Apexx Technical Consulting

johnsje,

As far as ASP goes. When a spider is going through a site and gets to a ? in the string, it will stop. ASP generates the ?.

This is simply not true. Many of the SE out there will index dynamic pages. Also, ASP doesn't generate a query string, you generate the query sting to call the page so not all ASP pages use query strings.

I know there are sites out there where you can submit you site to many of the top sites, but I am not sure where it is right now.

Very bad idea. Submit manually to all of the top engines and if you really need to, use automated submission to the small ones.

johnmak,

He has saved all his pages in aspx extensions! He has submitted his site to the search engines but has not been listed! I take it that search engines will not read aspx??

I can't tell you about all of the engines as this is something I have never checked, but I know for a fact that Google will index aspx extensions.

£100 won't get you far in the SE game, you could submit to Inktomi to get a quick listing, but I would advise you to spend the money available on Google Adwords and just wait for the SE to find your site.

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

The easiest and cheapest way is to post your url around--put it in your sig on at the message boards to post at (see mine?). That way, Google will likely see the link on one of the pages and follow it to index your site, and not only that, but other members at that board might see your site and visit. It only takes Google seeing one link to get listed in it, and once you're listen in Google, lots of the other main search engines will list you automatically. You don't have to spend lots of money to get a good ranking--just some thinking and (sometimes a lot) of time will do it.

Rick

-----------------------------------------------------------
RISTMO Designs
Arab Church
Reference Guides

As far as the ASP thing, It is just what I have read from a few different sources. I would love to see something that says that you can do it. Got a link? I am not a programmer, so I am just stating what I have read, could be wrong and if so thats fine.

I was just saying that there were places where you can submit to many search engines at once. I did not say if it was good or bad.

Jeff
Apexx Technical Consulting

Hi mate,

The best way to get proof that Google indexes query strings is to look at the search results in Google. Find a site you know uses query stings, then search for that site in Google. Don't try TT, as that uses query strings only when you are logged in.

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back