Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP Development Program Suggestions? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dollie

MIS
May 2, 2000
US
I know there are several programs available to design asp pages, but I don't know which one is the best!&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't have time to beta test all of them as I would like my site launched asap!&nbsp;&nbsp;I have wasted the better part of the last few months trying to learn Drumbeat (which will be obsolete in less than a month!).&nbsp;&nbsp;I have heard that Frontpage 2000 is great with asp pages, and is very easy.&nbsp;&nbsp;Does anyone have any suggestions?&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm stubborn about learning new programs (toss the book, jump into the program, find a problem, go dig the book out of the garbage) and I've been hoping that asp is easier to work with than Drumbeat makes it out to be!<br><br>Any help is MUCH appreciated!

I guess I'm spoiled.&nbsp;&nbsp;Debugging with response.writes just doesn't make it for me.&nbsp;&nbsp;That's the kind of debugging we did 20 years ago before GUIs and interactive debuggers were invented.&nbsp;&nbsp;I want to be able to not only inspect variables, but set breakpoints, count iterations, use conditional breakpoints (break when this expression is true, etc).&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Yes, you can create great ASP pages with notepad, and debug with response.write,&nbsp;&nbsp;but I guarantee that using an integrated development environment will reduce development time considerably (unless it's a trivial application).<br><br>You can build a house with a hammer and saw,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;but it will go up a lot faster if you use power tools!<br> <p>nick bulka<br><a href=mailto:nick@bulka.com>nick@bulka.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

To follow up on my original post, I've settled on Dreamweaver UltraDev (Macromedia's replacement for Drumbeat).&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't know how things will go with it, I just installed it this morning at the recommendation of our DB programmer.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've got 2 major projects using MSAccess databases that I have to get online by the end of summer.&nbsp;&nbsp;After having just moved our server to our ISP (we were unable to keep it maintained within the office), we found that they don't support ASP!&nbsp;&nbsp;We're searching for a new ISP, so until then I'll be working my way through the tutorials and taking my Access and SQL Admin classes.<br><br>Thank you all for the assistance.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've found that ASP isn't something I could jump into like HTML, but with a group like the people here, I'm no longer worried that I'm in over my head.<br><br>Thank you again!!<br>Dollie

Dollie.

Do not be discouraged by the horror stories in here. I have been working with FP2000 for the past 8 months (which is also how long that I have been working with ASPs all together) and it is VERY simple. I am not real big on coding and when I do ASPs I need to get them up fast. FP2000 does most of the database integration itself. Once you have an ODBC or some other connection string set up, it's a breeze.

Visual Interdev was too buggie for me. I kept getting a global.asa error and the error was always with the path that the script was using to access the database. I don't know why, but everytime I altered it, it did the same thing. And I was not the only one with this problem. I have even talked to seasoned ASP programmers who experienced the same thing.

So, don't lost hope on the whole thing, it's really not that bad. ;)

Hello,

Irrespective of the editor you are using, you can use free ASPWizard from It is a fantastic wizard, you need not write the standard basic commands, it writes them for you and lays out a pretty ok kind of User Interface. Try it..

Thank you...
RR

U should use Visual Intrerdev cuz form a great team with FPExt2000. ________
George, M

This is completely out of topic..But with your permission I take liberty in expressing myself....

I just can't stop wondering..See the date of first posting in this thread.. May 2, 2000 And we are still responding to this thread...I'm totally amazed at the power of forums..

Thanks all for making this really worthwhile place in the Internet.

Dave Murphy rules... Tek-Tips Rules..
Thank you...
RR

The Date doesnt matter. All it matter is that the thread is now on the first page and will be surelly readed by someone, and find something who helps him...
to RR ________
George, M

I knew it was old DesperateCoder... but stumbled on it searching for a global.asa questions I had (since I ALWAYS search old before posting the same-ole-same-ole 'q' answered a million time already). Couldn't resist since it has been six months! I really wanted to see how it all turned out! The last post before me was Aug 6, 2001.

Well Dollie? You still out there? =====================
Dennis B

Bleh. ASP is frustrating! I've managed to bumble through Dreamweaver Ultradev to make changes to pages we ended up getting someone else to do because we needed the page faster than I was learning the program!

With all the incompatibilities of the different programs available, it was difficult deciding which software to use.

I sure hope ASP isn't the wave of the future, or ASP consultants are going to be the moneymakers! (My opinion)

(-:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back