Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP Development Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomas79

Technical User
Feb 21, 2010
GB
Hi there guys,

I would like to get your opinion on what development environment to choose when working with ASP. I.e. Dreamweaver CS4, Microsoft Visual Studio etc

I want to learn the code and not work constantly through design views.

What are you suggestions and why?

Thanks and kind regards,
Tomas

I suggest you download a trial version from all, and play with them. It is all rather subjective i think. I use Visual Studio, also because it is the IDE for eg MS-SQL.

I use Homesite 5.5 - it was the best of its time (IMO) and is still excellent now for whatever language you are writing in (except for the .Net languages as it has no intellisense (sp?)) - ASP, PHP, JavaScript, CSS, X/HTML, XML, ...etc...

You can't buy it anymore online from Adobe as Dreamweaver is the "new" version, but I had bought a copy years ago and still use it to this day (10+ years using it now)

It is probably one of the only online purchases I have that is backed up on CD about 3 or 4 times to ensure I always have a copy whenever I upgrade my computer...

--------

GOOGLE is a great resource to find answers to questions like "how do i..."

--------

One of the problems is trying to figure out what is happening on the server. If you have any tool that will tell you that, you're on to a winner. I usually end up having to look at the generated html. Not quite as nice.

The other bonus is syntax highlighting. Some versions of frontpage (again, no longer on sale) gave you syntax highlighting in the scripting languages.

Visual Studio and MSE are really quirky. They put some tags in uppercase and then complain about them. They also remove the </li> in lists and rearrange your code metadata. It has gotten to the stage now that I don't trust them anymore because they rearrange your code, drop tags just before saving. You don't notice it until you bring up the form again. Some browsers actually moan that the generated code is incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back