Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP debuggin'please

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavray

Programmer
Jul 17, 2000
GB
I'm having a recurring problem with this bit of code, i'd be gratefull if you could get me <br>on the right track.&nbsp;&nbsp;i've at it a week<br><br>The following is an example of what happens, I'm trying the same code to access a database constructed in ACCESS and a query made pasted into the ASP page:<br><br>SELECT SongTable.NameSong&nbsp;&nbsp;#basically displaying the songs from the song table#<br>FROM SongTable<br>ORDER BY SongTable.NameSong; # this is the query produced by access#<br><br>This is how I pasted the query into ASP, I wasn't clear from the book whether you make a literal copy<br><br>&lt;%<br><br>Dim oRS1<br>Set oRS1=Server.CreateObject(&quot;adodb.Recordset&quot;)<br>sqltext=&quot;SELECT SongTable.NameSong&quot;<br>sqltext=sqltext & &quot;FROM SongTable&quot;<br>sqltext=sqltext & &quot;ORDER BY SongTable.NameSong;&quot;<br>oRS1.Open sqltext, &quot;DSN=music&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;# line 16 #&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Response.Write <br>Do While NOT oRS1.eof<br>Response.Write oRS1 (&quot;NameSong&quot;) & &quot;&lt;br&gt;&quot;<br>oRS1.MoveNext<br>loop<br>oRS1.Close<br>Set oRS1 = nothing <br>%&gt;<br><br>#And this is the error message I got, this seems to be my constant problem#<br><br>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14' <br><br>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'SongTable.NameSongFROM<br>SongTableORDER BY SongTable.NameSong'. <br><br>/muse1.asp, line 16 <br><br><br>I'd be gratefull for any hints,<br>

Try adding spaces between Song From and TableOrder Like :<br><br>sqltext = &quot;SELECT SongTable.NameSong&quot;<br>sqltext = sqltext & &quot; FROM SongTable&quot;<br>sqltext = sqltext & &quot; ORDER BY SongTable.NameSong;&quot;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'&lt; Add Spaces Here<br><br>Thats what that error tells me.<br><br>~LS<br>

Well, the first problem is that when the sql statement is executed, you will find that there are NO spaces between your FROM and ORDER BY.&nbsp;&nbsp;basically, the sql statement looks like this when executed:<br><br>&quot;SELECT SongTable.NameSongFROM SongTableORDER BYSongTable.NameSong;&quot;<br><br>You need to put a space somewhere!&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>To assist in troubleshooting this, try doing a response.write sqltext.&nbsp;&nbsp;This will show you exactly what is trying to be executed.<br><br>G..

Thanks, That's it a simple space, cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back