Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP Connecting to a .DBF Table w/ associated .FPT Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinpl

Programmer
Nov 20, 2003
US
I am using ASP to connect to a .DBF Table. The .DBF file is created by either FOX PRO, ADVANTAGE DATABASE SERVER, OR CLIPPER. The .DBF Table can be opened in ASP by using the following code:

---------------------------------------------------

cDataBasePath ="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("\db_directory\safe") & ";" & _
"Extended Properties=""DBASE IV;"";"

Set Con = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Con.Open cDataBasePath

SQLString = "SELECT DISTINCT TAG_ID FROM DATA.DBF WHERE"
Set RS = Con.Execute(SQLString)

--------------------------------------------------

Most of the .DBF files will allow this process and return my various queries. The problem is when the .DBF has a field that the data type is set to MEMO. When a MEMO field is present the .DBF file links to a .FPT file to get the value for the MEMO field. So basically every time I try to run the above SQLString if there is a field type of MEMO, the page will produce an error message that says, "EXTERNAL TABLE IS NOT IN THE EXPECTED FORMAT".

I would like to know if there is a way to access these files with or without referrencing the .FPT file? Please help....

Thanks

if it's created by possibly foxpro i'd recommend looking into a foxpro data connection possibly route this through a DSN and let the FoxPro MDAC do the work of translating. look on msdn.microsoft.com for "ASP foxpro" and that should give you some ground to work with

thanks so much for your help!!! that was easy... its working great now thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back