Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP, ASP.net, javascript??? Which first???

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix07

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
CA
hi there, I just like to get some suggestions. I would like to be a web developer, and I kinda know ASP already.
Did a webpage with it, just using basic recordsets. I just wanted to know should I read more into ASP then move on to ASP.net or just skip the ASP? I'm also thinking about Javascript too because I've been told it's essential in Web Development. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

ASP and ASP.NET are server side scripts. You cannot compare them to Javascript that is client side script. To resume :
Server side
ASP -> Encapsulated VBScript. Needs IIS Server (Ms only)
ASP.NET -> Encapsulated VBScript. needs IIS Server and .NET framework (Ms only)
JSP -> Encapsulated Java. Need java enabled HTTP server (Tomcat, Apache, ...)

Client side
VbScript -> Encapsulated VBScript. needs IE Browser (Ms only)
JavaScript -> Encapsulated "Light" Java. All browsers.

You can mix any server side script with any client side one. You can even use VBScript and Javascript in the same HTML (or ASP or JSP) page. Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

hey targol, yes I do know that. I guess I wasn't clear enough, I was thinking of buying a book to learn, and I was just wondering if I should continue with ASP first or Javascript? I guess I should get more into ASP then continue on to ASP.net and then get my feet wet with Javascript!

I think what Targol meant was the fact you need both the knowledge of ASP and javascript.
you will need to be able to handle your client level scripting (javascript) as well as the server side of things (ASP)
To learn one while waiting for the other would not be very benificial to you. I suggest trying to incorpurate both into your learning aspect of things at the same time so both skills will grow at the same time. To try and do both sides with the one platform will only cause you more headaches then you will want. I dare to learn more
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

ok that makes sense, I would love to learn both. I know people have different approaches to learning but is it better to drill myself with books on both or just get some examples or a bit of both? I know there are tons of examples and references out there. Thanks!

I'd say all of the above. read as much as you can to get conventions down and take a look at open source to give you working examples of how you can make things live (functional) in a sense.

good luck I dare to learn more
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

ok, well, I will start off with ASP then Javascript! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back