Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP and MySQL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

justme77

Technical User
Feb 4, 2001
SG
Hi,
I am now shopping for a SQL database for my school project. I am also using ASP as an interface. I am wondering whether MySQL is a good choice for this. Does ASP work with MySQL?

Suggestions on other SQL Database are also welcomed.

Thanks. cheers,
Just Me!!

Hi,
1.I'm not sure whether it's a good choice or not. The authors of MySQL and owners of MySQL AB claim that it is very fast and can easily handle databases with tens of thousands of tables and millions of records in them. It's lacking some functionality, though. Subqueries, stored procedures, triggers are not available at the moment.
2. ASP works with MySQL. You just need to have a MySQL driver for ODBC installed on your machine.

Here's the link where you can download MySQL:
Here's the link where you can download MyODBC:

If it's a school project, use MySQL... if you need the speed, and are planning a project to be used in the real world. Be warned, though, MySQL isn't all too stable, and can crash on you for no apparent reason, along with missing the functionality that guestg mentioned, plus some more.

If the school project is only for school, use MS Access. It can't handle that many concurrent connections, and isn't as fast as MySQL, but if it's only for school then you don't need it.

sidenote:
MSAccess should do well for most small projects, and should handle about 20,000 users a day (possibly more, I remember reading somewhere that a person handles 20,000 users fine off a MSAccess DB). This is if you open your connections as late as possible, and close them as early as possible, and use techniques such as .getrows or .getstring to speed up data access.

if you need more input post back
leo

leo,
1) Can you expand on the stability issues with MySQL? I was all set to use MySQL with ASP. My website will be quite busy and I don't like to hear the word "crash". I selected MySQL due to its simplicity and the price is right, despite its annoying lack of features.

2) Lets say I decide to use MS SQL Server instead... If I develop the database in the free MSDE and then place it on my host's system, who would have the MS SQL Server internet connection license, am I not able to use this database free of charge? i.e. I, myself, don't have to own a copy of MS SQL Server or purchase any licenses?
Thanks, Rob Marriott
rob@career-connections.net

Providing you ISP is offering SQL hosting to you, its not your worry wether he has the required licensing. As for you developing in SQL, as an academic you should be allowed to use MSDE free of charge. I would check this out with Microsoft first if I was you. MS SQL is definitely the way to go in my opinion. It parses SQL statements more forgivingly than mySQL, and is a lot more reliable due to the amount of time its been around.

G -GTM Solutions, Home of USITE-
-=

CCTC -
here's a link for you comparing MySQL and PostgresSQL, 2 Open Source DBMS. Keep in mind this site is PHP/Linux based, so some of the references might be Lin centric (eg: crontab == scheduler), but it shouldn't be hard to follow.

Personally I went with PostgreSQL for my next project, because it's free, supports transactions, stored procs and triggers.... Something you might want to look into though is SAP. (The best E-Businesses run SAP :) ) It's open source now, so maybe it'll fit your needs.

Geee is right in his post. Personally, I think that if you are going to try running a heavy load website, your best bet would be to go with MS SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase or even DB2... you really can't beat the commercial DBMS (regarding stability, functionality, security, etc) when compared to open source DBMS.

But if you plan on running a site with a moderately heavy load (say 50K - 100K visitors a day), MySQL || PostgreSQL might not be too bad a choice for that. A key to the actually performance of your database sits in not only the software, but the DB design and the ASP code design. So if your application is coded well, you might be able to support more hits than I mentioned.

anyways -
hth
leo

Thanks for the info Geee and Leo. I am unclear on one thing though... Geee said:

"as an academic you should be allowed to use MSDE free of charge"

Unfortunately, I don't qualify for academic licensing. The "career-connections" in my e-mail address is the company that I work for. This however is my side project and I haven't been a college student for quite some time.

My understanding of the MSDE was that it is free to develop and test databases in, as long as you don't actually use them to process data. This is where I am confused...

MSDE came with my copy of Visual Studio Enterprise -- it comes with MS Office as well. I can legally use this to create my database for free and since I won't be hosting my own website, I don't need to purchase a full-blown copy of SQL Server. My chosen ISP will have a valid SQL Server Internet Connector License, so I assume that I don't need any special licenses myself? This is an e-commerce website so I would assume that Microsoft wouldn't let me get away without having some sort of license, in addition to my ISP having an Internet Connector License. Sorry, I'm just trying to see what the catch is here... Rob Marriott
rob@career-connections.net

I'm sorry, from the line "I am now shopping for a SQL database for my school project." I presumed you were an academic. I'm unsure about Microsft's licensing requirements for development. Drop a reseller an email and I'm sure they will clarify this.

G -GTM Solutions, Home of USITE-
-=

Oh, that quote was made by justme77... I just kind of jumped into his thread because his question was similar to my situation -- he probably is qualified for accademic. Anyway, thanks for the info Geee & vasah20... I've decided to go with MS SQL Server, mostly after reading the article that vasah20's mentioned, because I can't take a chance on stability and I don't want to use PostgresSQL because I already have books on SQL Server and MySQL... I am somewhat of an Access expert and if I have to learn one more DBMS, I'm going to scream! LOL
Thanks, Rob Marriott

Hi,
I am back. It's been almost two weeks and the end result of this discussion is that I am using ASP with MySQL.

So far so good. I would like to thank all who have posted here.

Thank you.:) cheers,
Just Me!!

justme -
why did you decide to use MySQL? I went the PostgreSQL way, simply because they support Stored Procs and triggers...
was your MySQL decision because of speed (and your mySQL book? :) )

tia
leo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back