Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP and FileMaker Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHARKY99

Programmer
Oct 25, 2001
CA
I need help with asp and FileMaker. Starting from scratch

FileMaker from Claris? Unless there is an ODBC driver your better off converting to another format like Access.

Otherwise, what's the question?

B

I have to, or should i say MUST, use FileMaker and ASP for a site and i've never learn ASP with FileMaker i only learned with Access.

I know it's a lot slower and the database has to be open to access it but, can i put the database on the server? what do i need on the server? how do i connect to it using ODBC?
what are the ASP lines i need in order to connect and querry the database?

That'a about it. Thanks Gorecki >:):O>

That is the entire issue. Using FileMaker data files is in no way expected (that I'm aware of) in a browser. What you learned with Access is pretty much it other then ODBC based connection. For ODBC connection, an ODBC driver (interpret's the file) must exist. No one has made one that I'm aware of for FileMaker. I'm certain one can be written using C/C++ and having the FileMaker's data structure in hand. I wouldn't be shocked if FileMaker's format is nothing more then DBX (dBase derived).

The point is, it would be easier to convert the data to Access outside of the server, use it in that format. If someone want's it back, convert it back.

Doing connection processes (ADO) is pretty much the same with all data formats using an ODBC connection, but if the ODBC driver does not exist, the connections isn't going to happen without an unrealistic amount of work to do so.

I could write a custom data format faster then I could figure out what FileMakers is if that gives you any insite.

Good luck.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back